The Firebending Masters (Part One)

Firebending Tantrums

~~~

Ivana sat in on Aang's first firebending lesson at Zuko's request. He wasn't all that confident yet and wanted a second voice. Someone who actually listened to what Iroh had to say during lessons.

"I know you're nervous, but remember, firebending in itself is not something to fear," Zuko said. Ivana listened closely, smiling as she watched him teach.

"Okay. Not something to fear," Aang said, taking a deep breath.

"But if you don't respect it, it'll chew you up and spit you out like an angry komodo rhino!" he said, trying to spark fear in Aang. He shrank back at the analogy. "Now show me what you've got. Any amount of fire you can make."

Aang took a deep breath and did his best to try to firebend, but ended up with only a puff of smoke. "Maybe I need a little more instruction. Perhaps a demonstration?"

"Good idea. You might wanna take a couple steps back," Zuko suggested, taking a stance. Aang stepped back near Ivana. Zuko inhaled before trying to firebend. Ivana raised an eyebrow when only a small flame shot out. He took a step back. "What was that? That was the worst firebending I've ever seen!"

"I thought it was ... nice," Aang said, smiling and shrugging.

"Something isn't right. He should be able to produce a bigger flame," Ivana said, thinking out loud. Zuko attempted to firebend again, only producing a small flame. He tried two more times before giving up. "Why is this happening?" he huffed, frustrated.

"Maybe it's the altitude," Aang suggested, rubbing his head.

"Yeah, could be. 'Vana, why don't you try?" Ivana nodded, touching his shoulder as she took his place. She firebended without much effort, producing a flame over the canyon."

"So not the altitude," Ivana concluded. "Maybe we should try a different area." Aang nodded before Zuko stomped past him. "Don't worry about him. He's just angry that he's struggling. He spent most of our childhood with subpar bending," she explained to Aang. "He struggled a lot. Especially when Azula was- is so advanced."

"Well, at least I have the both of you," Aang shrugged. Ivana nodded as they followed Zuko to another area of the temple. He was already trying to firebend again.

"Just breathe, and-" he said, trying to produce another flame.

"That one kind of felt hot," Aang said. Ivana nodded, trying to make him feel better.

"You know what it's supposed to look like!" Zuko yelled at both of them.

"Sorry, Sifu Hotman," Aang said. Ivana couldn't help but giggle at the name. She stopped when Zuko yelled at Aang.

"And stop calling me that!" he shouted, throwing his arms down in frustration.

"Don't yell at him. I understand you're upset, but your behavior is uncalled for. Check yourself," Ivana warned, her eyes burning with determination. Zuko deflated and resumed trying to bend.

Sokka came over, eating an apple. "Hey, jerks! Mind if I watch you three jerks do your jerkbending?"

Zuko inflated with anger again, "Get out of here!" He lashed out his arm, pointing away from them.

"Okay, take it easy. I was just kiddin' around," Sokka said, getting up and laughing at his joke. "Jerkbending. Still got it."

Zuko dropped his head and groaned in frustration. "You guys should just go. I'm going to keep working on this," Zuko said, determined. Ivana nodded, getting up with Aang. They left Zuko in peace.