Bitter Work

Lightning and Stars

~~~

Ivana sat next to Zuko in an old abandoned house. Iroh was still unconscious, laying on the floor on one of their mats. They bandaged what was left of his wound. All they could do was wait. Ivana held the old firebenders hand, while she tried to calm herself. She hadn't firebended in two months and she was barely keeping it together. Iroh's condition didn't help. She didn't know what they would do without him. Luckily, she didn't have to think about it for long.

Zuko perked up as Iroh started to stir. "Uncle... you were unconscious. Azula did this to you. It was a surprise attack," he explained.

"Somehow, that's not so surprising," he replied. He tried to sit up, groaning slightly. Zuko handed him a cup of tea.

"I hope I made it the way you like it," Zuko said. Ivana waited for his reaction, knowing Zuko did not make it to Iroh's liking, but he had refused her help. Iroh took a sip, coiling back in disgust. He did his best to hide his reaction.

"Good. That was very ... uh ... bracing," Iroh said. Zuko handed him another cup, which he tossed out the window when Zuko looked away. He made a 'shh' motion with his hand toward Ivana. She giggled silently.

"So Uncle, I've been thinking. It's only a matter of time before we run into Azula again. I'm going to need to know more advanced firebending if I want to stand a chance against her. I know what you're going to say: she's my sister and I should be trying to get along with her," Zuko said, knowing that's what his mother would say.

"No, she's crazy, and she needs to go down," Iroh said honestly. Ivana did a silent cheer behind Zuko's back. She couldn't wait to serve it to the fire nation princess. "It's time to resume your training."

After a few more cups of tea (which all landed in the bushes outside the window), Iroh was able to get up. They made their way outside for some fresh air. Iroh made another pot of tea, wanting to actually be able to drink it.

"Lightning is a pure form of firebending, without aggression. It is not fueled by rage or emotion the way other firebending is. Some call lightning the cold-blooded fire. It is precise and deadly, like Azula. To perform the technique requires peace of mind." Ivana nodded at his words, taking a sip of her tea.

"I see. That's why we're drinking tea, to calm the mind." Ivana almost snorted at his obliviousness.

"Oh yeah, good point! I mean, yes. There is energy all around us. The energy is both yin and yang. Positive energy and negative energy. Only a select few firebenders can separate these energies. This creates an imbalance. The energy wants to restore balance, and in a moment the positive and negative energy comes crashing back together, you provide release and guidance, creating lightning," he explained. He stood and generated a burst of lightning off the cliffside.

"I'm ready to try it!" Zuko said, determined. Ivana however, was much more tentative. She watched carefully as Zuko stood.

"Remember, once you separate the energy, you do not command it. You are simply its humble guide. Breathe first," Iroh advised. Zuko took a deep breath before doing the motion. Ivana jumped as a loud explosion launched him back. Iroh shook his head. "Ivana, would you like to try?"

"Um, I guess," she shrugged, standing. She took a breath, focusing on separating the two energies. She attempted to shoot the lightning from her fingertips, only to have nothing be produced. She sighed. "I don't think I can do this, Iroh," she said softly, sitting back down.

"Work on it then. Someday," Iroh said, giving her some hope. She nodded as Zuko took a step forward, attempting to shoot lightning again. He was thrown back yet again. Ivana got up and helped him to his feet.

Honor, Love, and Dragons (Zuko x OC)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara