Zuko Alone (Part One)

Ivana Alone

~~~

Ivana found some luck in the first village she visited. She found a poster from a shop that wanted help preparing food for a festival. In exchange, she would be paid enough copper pieces to buy supplies for a few days. She happily accepted, going to the location and being hired since she was only one of two people to show up.

She did the job and was paid a little extra for her hard work with the lack of staff. The couple that hired her offered for her to stay for an extra night before she moved on. She accepted, staying there a night before leaving the next day. She thanked them profusely for their kindness before leaving for the next town. They had a map of the area and allowed her to copy it for herself.

Ivana traveled for a few days, rationing her food so she could keep going. She wanted to put as much distance between her and Zuko as she could. She still found herself missing him and felt a yearning in her chest to find him and Iroh. She resisted, wanting to find her own path.

She arrived in a small earth kingdom farm town. Ivana asked the town's shop owner if he knew of anyone who might need an extra hand in exchange for a few meals. He pointed her in the direction of a family who's son recently was deployed. He told her they might need an extra hand with him gone. She decided it was her best bet, so took his directions and headed for their farm.

As she entered their property she found they were pig farmers. They had many varieties, and each one screeched at her as she approached. She was met by a woman carrying a pail of water. She made her case, ultimately convincing the woman to let her help them in exchange for food and a place to sleep.

She helped them with work around the farm for two weeks. It was going very well. She ate meals with them and slept in the barn which was cozier than it sounded. She helped the woman, Sela, in the kitchen sometimes, and kept an eye on her son, Lee for her during the day. She ran errands into town for Gonzu. Ivana did anything necessary and enjoyed her time there. She didn't want to leave and they didn't seem to want her to.

"Are you sure I haven't overstayed my welcome, Sela?" Ivana asked one day while they hung up laundry.

"Ming, you have helped my family during a difficult time. You can stay as long as you want to," she said, smiling. Sela thought it was silly she even had to ask.

"If you say so," Ivana said, giving her a small smile. They continued to work until the pigs warned them of an arrival. "Maybe that's Lee. He said he was going to play with his friends in the village this morning." Sela nodded. They both went around to the front of the house, finding a man standing in the road. Ivana nearly panicked when she saw who it was.

She approached him with Sela as Lee told Gansu how he met the stranger, "This guy just stood up to the soldiers! By the end, he practically had them running away!"

"Does this guy have a name?" Sela said. Zuko spotted Ivana, his eyes widening.

"I'm... u ..."

"His name is Lee, actually," Ivana said, trying to help him. "He's an old friend."

Lee looked up at Zuko, grinning, "We have the same name! Why didn't you say so!" Ivana chuckled at his excitement.

"Well, anyone who can hold his own against those bully soldiers is welcome here. Those men should be ashamed to wear Earth Kingdom uniforms," Gansu said with a bitter tone.

"The real soldiers are off fighting the War, like Lee's big brother Sensu." Sela paused. "Supper's going to be ready soon. Would you like to stay?"

"I can't. I should be moving on." Zuko said, glancing at Ivana. She looked away.