The Western Air Temple

Awkward Zuko

~~~

"Are you sure this is what you want to do? You don't know how they'll react," Ivana said, finally breaking the silence. They hadn't spoken since before their encounter with Ozai, other than to whisper communications. They had just left the homeland, and Ivana couldn't take it anymore.

"Yes. I have to try, 'Vana," he said, leaning against the railing of the hot air balloon.

She nodded, wondering why she even questioned it. "I'm really proud of you, you know. Uncle would be proud too."

Zuko gave her a small smile before turning to the ocean before them. He stayed quiet for a few minutes. "I just don't understand how he broke out during the eclipse."

"He's a man of mysteries, Zuko," she said, smiling. She got up and stood next to him, their elbows touching. "You know he's out there and he's probably fighting for this world just like us. I know we'll see him soon," Ivana said. Zuko looked at her, getting lost in thought.

"It looks like they're heading for the Eastern air temple. Remember when we were there the first time? You still had bandages," she said, thinking back to it.

Zuko looked back at the ocean, thinking back to it. "Yeah, it was the first place we came to. It was the first time I yelled at Uncle..." He face twisted into disappointment.

"He forgave you for all of that in Bai Sing Se," Ivana insisted. "And after Azula showed up and everything happened... I think he was just upset that you went back to your old ways. That day of you accepting living in Bai Sing Se was wonderful for us. All we wanted was for you to be happy, and you were for that one day. Today was wonderful too. You seem much more at peace, Zuko. You have no idea how happy that makes me as your friend." She took his hand in hers, giving it a squeeze as she smiled at him. He smiled in return, looking down at their hands intertwined. His heart beat just a little bit faster.

~~~

They landed the hot air balloon in a group of trees on the floor of the canyon and made camp. Ivana complained that he'd only brought one tent, while he argued that they'd shared a room before and he coudldn't get another tent on such short notice.

"That's right! You weren't even going to bring me along. I may have forgotten, but I'm still angry about that. You should have let me choose," she huffed, crossing her arms at him while he put up the tent.

"I knew what you were going to choose already. Like I said, I didn't want you getting hurt!" Zuko sighed, his anger rising as he stood to face her.

"That's my choice Zuko! I don't care if I get hurt. I want to help you! When will you get that through your thick skull?"

"Thick skull?!" he yelled.

"Who's to say I'm even going to get hurt?" Ivana said. "I'm pretty capable, unless you haven't noticed," she huffed, sitting on a boulder and turning away from him.

"I know you're capable. But the fact that you don't care if you get hurt, scares me. If you did get hurt... I don't even want to think about Ivana. You would have been safer in the Fire Nation."

"You're kidding, right? You think I'd be safer living in the same city as the man that didn't hesitate to burn me as a child? That didn't hesitate to burn and banish you? That's crazy, Zuko. I'm way safer with you, you just can't see it," she huffed.

"You think you're safer with me?"

"Of course. I trust you with my life," she said, as if it was obvious. "Now I'm going to get some firewood. It's getting chilly," she walked away, leaving him with his thoughts.