Imprisoned

Old Wounds

~~~

Ivana looked up at the big metal rig standing in the middle of the ocean. It was almost completely empty, besides the fire nation soldiers. It's hard to believe that it held hundreds of earth-bending prisoners just a day ago. Zuko brought them there when he heard the Avatar helped them escape. Ivana stood on board their ship, waiting for Zuko to return from searching the rig.

"Do you think he'll find anything?" Ivana asked Iroh, who stood next to her.

"Maybe, but it's unlikely the Avatar would leave behind anything useful to his search," he said, stroking his beard.

Ivana moved her eyes to the ocean. It was getting warmer, but not nearly warm enough for her. She breathed a bit of fire at her palms, trying to warm up. She pulled her robes tighter around herself. When will it be spring? I can't take this cold anymore.

Soon she heard the clomping of firebender armor coming up the gangplank. She turned to see Zuko leading his men back to the ship. "Find anything?"

"Just the waterbender's necklace," he said, holding up a small necklace with a blue charm. He tossed it to her, knowing she'd want a look.

Ivana caught it. "I read a scroll about these I think. They're betrothal gifts. You don't think she'd be betrothed, do you? She's got to be younger than us."

"Who knows what their traditions are," Zuko huffed, gesturing for her to hand it back. She tossed it and returned to her gaze to the ocean. "All I know is, it's pretty much useless unless I find them," he sighed, heading for his quarters.

"Zuko, are you forgetting your training?" Iroh said.

"Of course, Uncle. I had forgotten. I will return after I give the helmsman our course," he said, bowing to Iroh. That's the most polite he's been to Iroh in a while. Weird.

"Is he sparring with me or one of the men?" Ivana asked, wondering if she could go below deck and take a nap. She hadn't been sleeping well since they discovered the Avatar. She never remembered the dreams, only that they frightened her. 

"With you. The sparring will help warm you," Iroh said, knowing the cold was affecting her more than the other firebenders aboard. She had always been sensitive to it.  

Ivana nodded obediently, knowing he was probably right. She left to put on her armor but returned in a few minutes. Zuko returned to the deck as well. "Alright, what's first?" Ivana asked.

"You and Ivana warm up. I'm going to see if my lunch is ready," Iroh replied excitedly, heading below deck. Zuko and Ivana started their basic forms, mirroring each other's movements. Ivana was still cold despite her firebending, but she knew sparring would warm her.

Iroh returned with the two servants who carried a table for him. The table was placed on deck and he sat on a pillow. "Take up your stances," Iroh said, chewing a delicious piece of roast duck. They faced each other and took their stances.

"Begin!" Iroh called. Zuko made the first move, sending a kicking fire blast her way. She dodged it and sent one back. Ivana could hear Iroh sigh from behind them. "Both of you are still relying on your muscles to do the job for you. Fire is an extension of your body, use it for its purpose. Ivana turned to him and nodded, as Zuko sent another blast while she was distracted. She felt the heat rushing towards her and rolled away.

"Hey! Stop playing dirty!" Ivana shouted. You aren't your sister so stop acting like it.

~~~