Ch 13: Wandering Wolfs

The whistling of the train rang through my head as we rode it. It was the next day and luckily, the snowstorm had passed and it was safe to board again.

Alice had decided to ride with Boris on the way back so I was stuck to sit with Benicio, which I didn't mind. The next few hours were full of short, awkward and flustering conversations between me and the demon.

"I uh- never noticed how well that outfit looks on you." Benicio stumbled over his words. His comment made me blush but I hid it under the book I was reading.

"T-thank you!" I squeaked back, surprised by his compliment, then proceeded to silently cringe at my own voice.

Not long after, we had reached our hometown and took a cab back to the casino where Benicio then called Wally to discuss about their agreement.

Wally paced across the floor while the mob boss eyed him. "Did you do it?" He narrowed his eye but a grin stayed on his face. We were all standing in Benicio's office.

Benicio scoffed, "Yeah, we took care of him."

Wally stopped in front of the demon and raised an unconvinced brow. "Proof?"

The mob boss scowled at the man's mistrust and snapped for Sammy to come over. Sammy reached into his back pocket and pulled out a newspaper from that morning then handed it to Wally. Wally extended the paper. It was a story on the frightening death of William Finch. Mentioned how he died due to a gunshot wound, but there were no clear suspects. I found that part very surprising but I guess it's really easy to seem invisible to a group of scared and crying people.

Wally chuckled as he folded the newspaper and tucked it into his own pocket. "Not bad you six."  Then he reached into his other pocket and took out the gear. It glistening as the sun shone on it. Then from his other pocket, he pulled out a small piece of paper that contained the address to find the ink machine. We were so close!

"Here ya go!" He flicked the paper and tossed the part to the mafia hoss. Benicio muttered under his breath about Wally but kept it to himself.

"I suggest you get out of my casino, Wally." Benicio warned.

Boris crossed his arms and signaled Wally to the door. The man chuckled but listened. He was about to close the office door of his way out but then stopped and turned his head to face us. I tensed.

"Have a fine day." Wally smiled and the door shut behind him.

Benicio stared down at the paper in his hand. "Silly Vision." He read. "That's the town where the machine is at and we're leaving tomorrow."

Everyone groaned. They were all tired from the night before.

"Benicio, we need rest. Let's take the day off and then leave in two days?" Norman sighed. Sammy, Boris, Alice and I agreed. Benicio rolled his eyes.

"Besides, we still need to prepare." Alice added as she slouched on the couch in the office.

The mob boss crossed his arms and glared at all of us but then widened his eyes. "You're all lucky I just remembered I need to make some business calls before we go." He sneered. I silently cheered.

Benicio sat in his chair and set his legs on his desk in a relaxed position. He then reached of the phone and then shooed us away. "You got 24 hours to relax before we get back on track. Now leave- Boris stay here I need you to help me with these papers." His younger brother grumbled but followed his older brother's orders.

Alice and I went back to our own room while Sammy and Norman went downstairs to the casino.

As I as alone in bed, something felt...off. Something wasn't right. Not that everything was always great but I felt lonely like as if someone was missing...Willow!