Chapter 35

A/N: Sorry for the delay in update! I had technical issues and wasn't able to access Wattpad to upload! So here is a Thursday update for you guys!

For all that are like me and affected by the Winter Storm Landon, please stay safe if you're on the roads! For those staying at home, stay warm and remember to turn off whatever lights you're not using/keep your taps flowing ;D

Chapter 35

My heart is racing in fear and adrenaline. I look to my right where Rachel sprints beside me. Mallory is to my left. Our paws thunder against the foliage of the woods as we charge through the wild, and further away from the main packlands.

Head to the mountains. Adrian had said. Don't stop until you hit the snowline. It'll be harder for them to track you there.

I feel the hackles along my spine rise, as if The Order are pulling up to Diurnal now and demanding them to hand me over. It isn't fair to them. The easiest thing for everyone would be if I go with Sashi and her goonish priestesses now. I nearly had, but Mallory had insisted that I run away.

You're far from ready for them, Amelia.

I don't understand what more I need to prepare for. I've been practicing Healer methods for a year now, and I've studied enough about the Wolves' culture to be familiar. At this rate, I have more and more questions that no one but those at The Order can answer for me.

But Nancy and Mallory's insistence makes me feel like I am terribly naïve to the entire situation, despite my earnest efforts to train and prepare myself as much as possible. I feel ready...if it weren't for everyone's trepidation to send me to The Order. It's like I'm the lamb leading myself to the slaughterhouse, and everyone is trying to call me back to.

For now, I'll listen to those who know better.

My muscles bunch up and release, legs long and head flat to my body. The speed we are running at means that we'll hit the snow-capped mountains in a few hours.

Adrian and a handful of his ranked Wolves follow closely behind us, letting their fur coats catch the bushes and trees. They are doing their best to cover the scent of three frantic, Breccian females.

Rachel glances at me, and I hear her voice echo through my head. Are you alright?

My response is to run quicker. I may not have run and trained as long as they had, but I definitely have caught up from training hard. Aiden had gotten me into shape quickly, and I'm more than comfortable to sprint like this.

I'm sorry. I murmur to both my packmates.

Shut up and stop feeling sorry for yourself. We chose to protect you. Mallory nips at my heels. Now move that fluffy bottom.

We slow when we finally reach the biting snow of the mountains. My chest expands inwards and outwards in massive gulps. Iphigenia's soul is weak still—I can feel the weight of both of our power resting heavier on me than her—but she allowed me to shift without any difficulty.

Is it the vision or her gruelling past that keeps her down?

The Wolves around us are jumpy as the forest snaps around us. Alert and ready for a fight. The Diurnal snarl lowly and wait in anticipation for anything or anyone to come out. But it's only a lone fox, which quickly scurries once it spots our menacing glares.

After a moment of hesitation, Adrian comes up to me. His wolf dwarves me, just like in our human form. But he seems far more intimidating in this form. His fur is marked with scars and the sheer size of him compared to the other Wolves is enough to make me shrink back.