Chapter 9

A/N: Remember to tap the little star in the corner if you like the story so far!

Chapter 9

"Where are they?"

Steph stands in front of me. Tears stream down her face. I step up to her and hug her tightly. We bury our faces into one another's shoulders, sobbing loudly. She bunches the thick material of my cardigan in her hands, shaking so hard against me.

"I'm sorry," She whispers, "I'm so sorry, Mel."

I only weep quietly into the crook of her neck. The pain is still so fresh—the loss not quite sinking in. I feel so astounded that it's almost like numbness. The only thing I can do is sob and hiccup into my sister's embrace.

"Where...Are they here?" I finally manage to choke out. I can't find them—no matter where I desperately search in this Plane...they're not here.

All I saw is the red, darkening sky that lights up the black horizon and silhouettes of the Plane. Iphigenia is pressing against Steph's thigh, whining softly. But no one else. Only mist.

"Steph," I look at her again. She's biting her lip and I cry, "Steph—where's Mom and Dad?"

"Mellie, they've already passed on. Hekate...the Goddesses have no use for them. We're the ones they use as messengers and guides to the Prophets," She wipes at both of our cheeks and tries to smile, "They don't know any better now, Mel."

"I want to see them, though," My face crumples. I feel like a child lost at a fair with no inkling of where I am.

"You can't, sweetie. There's only so much the living are allowed to see—including you."

A trumpet calls in the distance. The mist begins to shift. I turn to Steph but she's beginning to fade. Her skin fades into a deathly shade of white. I watch in horror as purple, welted bruises appear on her neck. Her eyes glass over and her lips blue.

"Hekate wants me to pass on a message to you. Head to Alaska."

I step towards my sister, but she raises her hand up.

"I have to go, Mellie," Her voice is a wisp in the wind. The mist begins to eat her up, "I'll let them know you're okay."

"Steph!" I try to run after her, but Iphigenia stops me, "Get out of my way!"

She growls loudly. No.

I shove her out of my way, but she wraps her teeth around my ankle. We fight each other relentlessly. I slap and pull at her ears and fur, and she returns the pain with her teeth. The trumpet sounds again. Iphigenia grows frantic.

Behave, child. She collides into my chest, standing on my shoulders as I hit the ground. I stare up at her, mistakenly meeting her eyes. We must not stay.

"Please..." I beg her, but the Plane already begins to fade. I can't look away from her gaze, and soon I find myself lying in the black, shallow waters of my empty conscience.

I open my puffy eyes without a sound or a breath. I'm in Jace's bed.

I lie in his bed staring at the ceiling for an immeasurable amount of time. His smell floods my senses, but for once it does nothing to soothe my nerves. The grief that flows through me is stronger than anything our bond can drown out.

The feeling of betrayal doesn't help either. I keep sniffing the air for any signs of her.

I shut my eyes again but open them shortly after. The past two nights have been plagued with nightmares and visions. Either I've been reliving my family's deaths or I've been reliving the countless others'.