Chapter 20

Media Citation: "Pin on Knifes." Pinterest, 22 Dec. 2021, https://www.pinterest.com/pin/87960998959186393/.

Chapter 20

I will kill you.

Orion stands smugly in the corner of the room. His arms are crossed—his eyes calculatingly cast towards the ground. He refuses to look at Lara, who glances nervously between him and Alpha Kieran.

The Palus Alpha draws in a tired sigh, "Breccia refuses any entry or visitations to us. But Ameku and Diurnal have shown us favourable conversation."

"Good old Adrian. He's so quick to forgive—" Orion begins but is quickly cut off by Kieran.

"I doubt he'd be quick to forgive you. Which is why it's important he doesn't know that you're staying here, Leon," He runs a hand through his hair. He's frustrated—trapped. I can almost feel his chest tightening in panic as he thinks of the repercussions of harboring a fugitive Alpha. "I would appreciate your obedience—just this once. I'm putting my neck out on the line for you—and risking my entire pack's wellbeing."

"And I appreciate your loyalty, old friend," Orion stands up. Lara stiffens and I do too. Her fear...is she scared that he's going to kill her mate? "You have always helped me—ever since we were kids. I wouldn't want to put you in an awkward spot...I know that my past hangs heavy on all our shoulders now."

"He's lying."

I look down and gasp, "Eamonn! What—how are you here?"

He takes my hand and holds onto it tightly, "You're not the only one who goes to other places when you're asleep."

"It's not safe—he can't know that you're—"

"He won't find us," Eamonn sounds so sure. His boldness is so strong that he even takes a closer step to the man who killed his mother, "It's my gift. I can watch anyone and they won't ever know."

Cynbel pays him far more visits than I initially realized. He knows a lot about his own abilities for someone so young...

"Eamonn, how much..." No...I force myself to turn back to the conversation we're eavesdropping on. So, Kieran and Orion used to know each other as children—it's beginning to make sense how Orion infiltrated Palus so easily.

Now, the Palus Luna and Alpha are debating something while he looks on in voyeuristic amusement.

"Lara, I don't want you going to Diurnal. It's dangerous—what if Adrian finds out that—"

"It's more dangerous for me to talk to that wrench in Ameku," She insists, "I hate Luna Everleigh—the feeling is mutual between us. You know how polar opposite our views are!"

"Mine are too, sweetie, but I still think it's—"

"Kieran, I grew up in Oberon. I am born and bred Ganymedian—it doesn't make sense for you to send me elsewhere! I understand Diurnal's customs and the Alpha far better than you."

He says nothing for a long time. The silence only grows in tension and Lara begins to hesitate. Kieran steps forward until he is completely in her space.

"Stop interrupting me, Lara," His presence doesn't feel angry, but his words are more than a request. She instantly bows her head in apology. He frames her face with his hands and waits until she looks up into his eyes. "...You will go to Ameku. It's final."

"I can always go to Diurnal," Orion says with a shit-eating grin. My blood runs cold with fear.

But Kieran snarls loudly, "Shut the fuck up, Leon. I'll go to Diurnal."

He has no idea what that man is capable...it's the only reason I can come up with to explain how he so carelessly rips into Orion.

His phone begins to ring. The tension is released from the room and he lets go of Lara. But surprisingly, she reaches out to him. He also seems taken aback when she presses her mouth to his.

"I trust you to make the right decision," She whispers before letting him leave the room to take the call.

The door shuts.

Nothing is said for a drawn-out minute. Lara turns her head towards Orion—her gaze is narrowed. He only chuckles.

"I can't say that I'm surprised that you want to go to Diurnal," He muses, "But don't think for a second that I'll let you lay a finger on her."

She clenches her fists and lifts it to him. But instead of hitting him, she grabs a fistful of his shirt and kisses him roughly. He tosses her onto the desk and undoes the buckle on his belt.

"Believe it or not, this has nothing to do with that slut," She traces his jawline, "You need a pack with influence—"

"Adrian knows that I'm here in Palus. So it doesn't matter whether you flash your tits at him or not, he's not going to change his mind. Between his hatred for me and his wandering eye on Amelia, you'll barely be a speck on the wall to him."

She shoves him off and puts some space between them. Orion smugly buckles up his pants. "I'm not talking about Diurnal. You forget just as much as Kieran—I'm from Oberon, remember? One of Diurnal's neighboring packs—you know, the one that broke away from Ganymede after you so epically lost your title as Alpha?"

"Your point? I killed their Alphas.They hate me just as much as Diurnal."

"No. They hate Adrian more—he's the one who was given title over the Wolves next In line. Your coupe detat had done more than just screw with your brother's future. It caused a ripple throughout the pack's line of succession—and several regions decided to leave to become their own packs."

"But the bitterness and need for power remains," Orion shakes his head and laughs, "Okay, okay. I see where you're going with this—I underestimated your intentions."

"You underestimate me often," She begins to walk away but he yanks her back. I gag as he bends down and kisses her. "You need to convince Kieran to send me to Diurnal."

"I have an idea how to get you there."

"...I hope you're not planning on hurting him—"

"Leave it to me, Luna."

He's on the move. I head after him out the office doors, but Eamonn remains rooted to his spot. He tugs on my hand and points to Lara.

"Look!"

She's standing in the center of the room. Her eyes are cast down towards the ground, and her hands grab something from her waist. I gasp as the light reflects off the blade...the knife that I had dropped when Orion had attacked me in my house.

"Stephanie's athame," I look at Eamonn. He has a worried expression on his face.

"I'll be seeing you shortly, Prophet," She clenches her hand tightly around the hilt, "It's time you and I met officially."

My heart stops as I see the raging gleam in her Wolf's eyes.

A/N: Remember to hit that like button! :)