Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Finally, we reach the house. It's secluded, tucked on an embankment of the lake. No trees and no blind spots. The only way out is the only way in.

The only issue is that the driveway that connects the embankment to the main shoreline is consumed by female Wolves. They crowd around the house like ravenous beasts. All of them are flushed from their Heat and egging each other on. It's a brewing storm just waiting for the right motivation to be unleashed.

I have stopped dead in my tracks, staring at them with wide eyes. There are at least thirty of them. I catch the scent of others approaching as the wind blows in my favour. With that in mind, I shift back.

"How did you get out of here?" I tug my shoes and cardigan on.

"There weren't as many as them when I had left," His voice is meek. He smiles at me like he realizes that leaving Adrian's protection hadn't been such a bright idea. I suspect that the Unmarked females caught whiff of Eamonn and then gathered here.

Sometimes, I feel like I'm in the middle of a National Geographic documentary. My thoughts have Iphigenia grunting in amused agreement. These packs are as wild as they are tame.

I sigh as I'm greeted by Adrian's voicemail again, "Adrian—I have Eamonn. We're outside...but I can't get through the females—"

"You."

The wind has changed direction. All the females can smell me. Me, the Unmarked foreigner standing right behind them with a prized possession—the Alpha's son.

I push Eamonn close to my side. I scan their gang with wide eyes but don't know who is likely to ignite this 'keg of gunpowder' situation. I'm trying to figure out who would I go for first if this turns into a fight. How am I going to fight them while keeping Eamonn by my side?

"You smell," A familiar face steps forward. Gracie, with her blond hair falling from her face in brilliant waves. She's by far the most exquisite here, and the most dominant.

Kiana had said Gracie likes to parade around like the Luna. I can sense the strength of the Wolf underneath this woman—it's formidable enough to make Iphigenia pay attention. A ranked Wolf branched from a line of Alphas wasn't going to be an easy opponent.

My lip lifts up instinctually to meet her challenging posture, "I'm here to return your Alpha's son."

"Why is he with you?" One of the females growls.

Eamonn tries to explain, "I wanted to hang out wit—"

"You took him, didn't you?"

"To bargain with our Alpha?"

"More like to get in his good graces."

"Fucking Breccian whore."

They draw closer, hunched over in mid-shift as they rile themselves up. I swallow my fear down and tug Eamonn to me.

"You can take them on," Eamonn encourages me, "You're a Beta."

I look down at him in surprise. He's right...technically. Rank mates with rank, and since both of my mates were Beta-born it means that I am as well. But Jace's words echo through my mind...I have no leadership or power over Wolves. I'm only what Mac thinks—a snappy puppy that lashes out in defence. I'm not Jace or Aiden, who are respected. I'm not like Kiana or Mac or Adrian, who hold command with authority.

"Amelia?" Eamonn looks up with me with his wide, blue eyes, just as uncertain as I am. I can't stand the idea of letting him down too. So I suck up my apprehension and press forward.