Chapter 5

Warning: Themes in this chapter include underaged drinking, sex, toxic relationships, and violence. Please read at your own discretion.

Chapter 5

"Don't worry, we'll behave ourselves."

Cam, charming as always, practically wraps herself around Abel. He doesn't react, though the poor rookie beside him is clearly taken by Camilla. He looks ready to faint when she gives him a wink.

Abel slips from her hold, "No swimming this time, okay?"

"Jeez, what are you—my mother?" She rolls her eyes, "Or are you giving us such a hard time 'cause you want us to invite you? You're more than welcome to—be sure to bring the cutie who's riding with you."

Again, the rookie's consciousness is questionable.

"Whatever, just don't complain when you wake up with a hell of a hangover again. I'm tired of hearing Auntie Nic bitch me out for it."

"You two are actually cousins?" I look between them as Abel goes back to his car.

"Yup," She sighs, "Don't know how. He's too straight-laced."

"Let's go set up," Jace begins to pull me towards the beach but I break away.

"Abel!" He turns around when I run up to him, "Can I talk to you quickly?"

He looks up at Jace and then me, before nodding. We go to the other side of the parking lot so no one can hear us. I wave my friends on, but it doesn't quell Jace's frown.

"What's up?" He looks wary, like he knows what I'm going to ask.

"Have you got any updates on Steph's case?" I try my best to not to break my gaze from his, "I would really appreciate it if you went back and looked at the evidence—particularly the necklace I found—"

He sighs, "It's technically closed as a suicide, Amelia. So no new official inquiries have been made—"

"It wasn't a suicide though. It was a homicide—I thought we both agreed to that?" My blood instantly begins to boil. He's seriously trying to feed me the same bullshit even though we all know the truth.

"I know, Amelia. But that's pack business. I can't reopen the case out of the blue—it'll put us in the spotlight," He run a hand through his hair, "Why were you asking? Maybe there's something that was picked up in the files that I could check for you."

"The toothed necklace that was left behind...it wasn't Steph's—"

"You can't know for sure—"

"Abel, I know it wasn't hers," I growls. Keeping everything a secret was seriously beginning to irk me. I didn't know how else I could get him to believe me without telling him that I had heard all this directly from my Steph.

"Well clearly there were secrets that you didn't know about."

"I need to know if there are any fingerprints on the toothed necklace. And I need to know if it matches up with any fingerprints found in her bedroom."

He's very quiet for a moment, but quickly recovers, "There weren't any fingerprints left in her room—"

"Amelia."

Jace is holding my arms firmly, tightening his grip as I try to break free. I openly glare at Abel and bare my teeth. After all these months, I thought he would be willing to help me with this! But this is just like before.

"Amelia, I want to help. But I don't think any of the evidence that we collected will," He glances up at Jace and clears his throat, "You know that your sister was murdered by a Rogue. Nothing will change that. We're doing our best but that's all I can tell you."