Preview

Media Citation: NFWMB, Hozier 09/12/2018. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YnHZhrfAJE

In the absence of my sobs, the soft sound of tinkering music reaches my ears. He's still here. And I know exactly where he is.

Find him. She seethes.

My feet are sodden from the blood that pools on the carpet. Silence is no longer the sound that comes from me. Each step closer to him is like the sound of claws against wood. With every step, I become hunched and blackened. Insanity and Death curl my lip into a twisted, grotesque snarl.

The veins of my hands are purple and black, like the rage inside me finally reflect the rot of me on the surface. I wrap my obsidian fingers around the ceremonial blade.

He sits at the piano. His hands glide over the keys as he plays a soft, joyous song. The ivory keys are smeared in blood, the ebony keys sound flat and malign against his touch. He knows I'm standing behind him. He continues to play without a care in the world.

I lift my hand, but it freezes. He needs to die. I need to slit his throat, but I can't. Suddenly, Iphigenia's will to bury this athame deep into his chest ceases. She's overcome by reason but I'm not. She screams at me to stop. I can't. I'm too far gone.

Whatever her reasons are to keep him alive, I don't share them.

I jam the knife into his back. It's jammed in tight, but he doesn't shudder. He pauses and so do I. My thoughts begin to race, and I realize that he's barely registered the blade stuck in his spine.

He only chuckles, unaffected as blood seeps through his shirt. I step back just in time to miss his grasp. That mad, yellowed gleam in his eyes hones in on me.

"I think we both know it'll take more than that to kill me." He taps his chest with a taunting smirk, "Don't be sad, Amelia. It gives me heartburn."

"You..." I can't look away from the trail of blood left across the piano keys, "You bastard."

"You bitch," He stands up and knocks the stool over. It clonks loudly against the tiled floor, "You really thought you would be safe? From me?"

He has his hand around my throat in an instant, lifting me from the ground. I choke and splutter, but it only excites him. He buries his nose against my skin, taking in a deep breath.

"You're mine, Iphigenia. I'll always be able to get to you." His eyes flicker over my body, and a broad grin grows on his face, "I can see the other one has already had you tonight. Did he get a little too rough with you?"

He throws me across the room. I crash into the dining table. The wood splinters underneath me and into my skin and I scream.

I scramble for the athame, watching Orion with wide eyes. He only chuckles when I plunge it into his neck, before he slams me down against the broken surface of the table.

"Not that I blame him. You looked delectable in that dress." He stands between my legs now, bracing himself over me. A finger drags down the midline of my body, towards the hem of my pajama pants, and I snarl. "The fool. He should have just forced his Mark on you—get this whole thing back on track."

"He's not like you," I spit. He only chuckles, and slowly loses control of his laughter as if I told the funniest joke ever.

"Maybe he isn't..." He wrenches me up and yanks my hair from my neck, "But maybe he is."

I watch in horror as his teeth descend, bloody and long. He growls as he comes down on my neck. I squeeze my eyes shut as his teeth begins to break my skin.