Chapter 23

Chapter 23

(Adrian)

Amelia damn near topples the kitchen stool she's seated in when I come downstairs. Mac is back—I had heard him come in when I was on the phone with Breccia. He doesn't look too pleased with her in the lake house but knows better than to make a complaint.

"Everything's fine," My words draw a lengthy sigh from her lips, "The pack was outraged from what I gather, but Beta Aiden and Mallory managed to reign them in before they could challenge the Alphas. Mira and Ilya have made peace with them all."

"There's no making peace with a pack that have been betrayed by their leaders," Kiana mutters into her teacup, "Betrayal, lies, murder. It's all weakness in the eyes of Wolves."

"Aye, I wouldn't take too kindly to being lied to," Mac sets his mug down a little too eagerly.

If Amelia hears them, she doesn't bother to acknowledge their words. In fact, her eyes are still trained on me. She's waiting for me to tell her something—the news she was actually hoping for.

It brings me no pleasure to say, "Jace is fine too. He was the one who answered the phone, actually."

Her relief is immediate. Her shoulder deflate and her legs give underneath her. Luckily, the kitchen stool catches her, and she rests her head in her hands. We all sit in a drawn-out silence while she cries softly into her hands.

She's soft to him because she's in Heat. Is what my Wolf whispers to himself. But I know it's more than that. Despite it all, some part of her still cares for that fucking moron in Breccia.

Kiana catches my eye again, but she makes no comment. Only rests her hand on Amelia's back and hushes her. Mac is oblivious to what his mate knows and goes upstairs.

"I'm going to have a word with your son, Adrian," He mutters, "I'm glad that your mate is alright, lass."

Amelia wipes her cheeks and sits upright again, "Was there any news about..."

Initially, I can't figure out why she trailed off. But then I follow her flickering gaze to Kiana. My Beta looks up at me when I say, Give us a moment, Ki. She hesitates because she can't possibly know why I would need a moment alone with a young, Unmarked female in Heat.

I trust your judgement, Alpha. She follows Mac's path to the second floor. But don't trust hers. She doesn't have control over her Wolf...

I heed her words and stay exactly where I am. Amelia wraps her fingers around her cup and stares off into the tea.

"The Order? Did they find out where I was?"

"No. Your pack didn't give you away, little one," I resist the urge to squeeze her shoulder again. I force myself to the other side of the kitchen and lean against the counter there, arms crossed over my chest. Despite her weeping over that chew toy in Oregon, she follows my every movement. When I speak, her gaze concentrates on my lips and not my eyes. "Do you think the High Priestess can find you through your visions?"

"I...I don't know," She answers honestly, "I don't think so, or else she would have found me a long time ago. She...well she's appeared in my dreams before. And while I think she's gotten hints like I do, I don't think she can see exactly where I am."

"Well, let's hope not," I'm more than happy to protect this little Prophet, but I also can't afford to have my pack in defiance with The Order of the Huntress. Their lot are unforgiving, no matter how modernized our High Priestess is.

"Have you met her before?"

"The High Priestess? Once, when I had Eamonn's naming ceremony. She comes to visit every new-born Alpha, although I've heard that she's been sending her High Prophet to some ceremonies as well recently. Poor girl isn't more than five years younger than you."