Deathslinger X Reader (P1)

Your POV

Rest...such a lovely gift it is to a man.

But it is a gift, a blessing, a rare jewel to acquire. Surely if a man was to have it, he would take it for granted. And he did. Now I understand. And I have come to appreciate the little bits of it whenever I got to savor the comfort of dream and sleep. Forget dreams, or even nightmares...they would be the sweet toppings on the cake. Even sleep seemed like heaven to me, or anyone else trapped in this world...or should I call it Neverland.

Maybe...maybe it is what neverland would be...and the Entity is the God.

"Dwight..." the clumsy man was fidgeting constantly as we all awaited our next trail anxiously, "Have faith, we will make it out this time as well."

"Just for how long, (Y/N)!" He nearly screamed, "I am...I am done. I can't do it all the time."

I was about to say something when I noticed something on his face. Tears glistened at the corners of his eyes as he spoke, clearly gritting his teeth. I felt bad, my heart sunk at his helpless state. But he wasn't alone, we all were stuck in that hell.

Nea, Cheryl, Bill, Ashley, David, literally everyone that sat there, trying to keep themselves warm by stealing the heat from the bonfire...

So many had fallen in the trap, how many more? My feet shook at the thought. It was inevitable...yet it was.

My eyes were heavy...and everything turned hazy. Maybe next trial, I reminded myself, until a soft nudge started to pull me back to the concrete reality before me. Jill tugged on my sleeved, looking at me with her wide blue eyes.

"You have pretty eyes Jill, sorry I never told you."

"Jesus! (Y/N)!" She facepalmed, "You have told me this a thousand times. Just keep yourself awake. You are dozing off."

"It isn't her fault honestly." Bill intervened, "We all are tired, and out of us all, it is her who has relentlessly pulled off the hardest of tricks. Did the generators when we were getting our asses handed to ourselves by those creeps out there, ran across the map to get us off the hooks like freaking sonic all the fucking time!"

Nea shook her head as he raised his voice, patting me on the shoulder. She was clearly not over the guilt of leaving me on the hook last trial. Billy wasn't nice about it at all, Nea had looped his ass for like four generators straight, so he vented it out on chain-sawing my half-dead body right on the hook. I bet Entity was laughing down at me for urban-evading right in front of him, but I swear the bushes were tall as fuck!

"Entity sucks!" I groaned.

"Entity Displeased!" Ashley giggled. Sometimes, he was a pain in ass, but in times he was always ahead of almost everyone to brighten their time up. At that moment, I just needed his crappy joked to keep me up.

I could only hope...

"...Ashley..." I noticed how his giggling was fading away in the dark background, his voice becoming distant. That was when I realized, I was no longer lounging around at the bonfire. My head was on the wooden log beneath me, not on Jill's shoulder, and Nea was no longer holding me by my arm.

I was in the trial. Instinctively, I slapped myself as hard as I could, but it didn't change. I had done it a countless times before, hoping that the whole trial thing was a nightmare because of course! The freaking Math test waited for me at the doorway to just give me an ass whooping for staying up whole night laughing at stupid internet memes instead of paying a hearty tribute to Calculus.

I hate my life...but then, as the wise old man once said-reality is often disappointing.

I patted my shirt off and started to walk around, trying to get adjusted to the light. As soon as I looked around, my heart stopped for a brief moment. Sweat enveloped my forehead as I looked at the Dead Dawg Saloon before me, the faint silhouettes of dead men lying around, some on the table, some hanging from the noose.