OIL AND WATER

Lavender slammed open the doors of the council, pumping her legs as she quickly made her way down the steps of the stairs.

She didn't even realize it was raining until she looked up at the night sky, a sheet of darkness covering it as raindrops splattered across the pavement, the city's lamppost glowing against it, shining some light on her face. Droplets began running down her face, intermingling with her hair, dampening it as she let out a frustrated sigh.

"Lavender! Where are you going? " Vi called out, rushing down the steps to catch up with her, joining her under the sheet of rain. Caitlyn stood there, not too far off, keeping dry by the steps, watching the scene unfold in front of her.

Lavender paused, closing her eyes, her back facing the girl as she tried her best to suppress her emotions.

"I don't know, back to where I came from? I have to find Jinx. She can't think I abandoned her again. " She said, turning her head slightly to the side, her voice trembling. She was upset. They were both, but they had a bad way of expressing it. "All this was a waste of time."

"Hey, I know you're pissed. Maybe we can find another way. We can save powder. " Vi tried, turning her over to face her, trying her hardest to get Lavender to look her in the eyes.

"No, stop calling her that, Vi. Her name is Jinx. That's all she'll ever be to the council: powder, jinx, it's all relative to them! They'll take her away either way." Lavender pulled away from the woman, closing in on herself. "I was so blindsided to think things could change." She said, shaking her head as the rain continued to cover them like a blanket.

"I'm coming with you," Vi stated, it wasn't a request.

Lavender thought back to the last time Caitlyn and Vi followed her to the trenches of the lanes. Everything went astray, causing a disaster and getting her separated from Jinx in the first place. Jinx needed time to adjust. Seeing Vi coming would just cause her emotions to go haywire.

"No! Just stay with Caitlyn! " Lav yelled in distress, her fingers starting to pull on her hair. "Just go back to Caitlyn's big, fancy house. I'm sure you guys can come up with other ideas to fix that shit council."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Vi scoffed, her voice coming off accusingly. " I'm her sister. I can fix this. "

Lavender chuckled at that, Vi's accusing words feeling like an attack against her. "And I'm the only one she can trust. At the end of the day, it's always me by her side. Not anyone else. Me."

Vi paused at that, lavender's words cutting into her like a knife, stabbing her in the back. Her lips began to quiver as they stared at each other, the shock of lavender's words making the tension in the air uncomfortably thick.

Lavender realized what she said and immediately tried to correct her speech. "I'm sorry, I-I, just forget that I said that." She said, peering up at Vi's gaze. She knew she had fucked up.

Vi just glared at her, her nose wrinkling slightly. "That's not fair, and you know that." She said, her eyes wandering up and down Lavender's face looking for some type of reassurance, but all she was met with was a blank stare. Vi cussed, throwing her hands in the air. "Fine! If you want to go, go. I'm tired of convincing you. "

Vi's voice boomed against the sound of the thundering rain as she gazed at her, waiting to see what lavender would do. Even though she said "go," all she wanted to say was "don't leave me again."

Caitlyn saw where this was heading, running out into the rain as her arms shielded her face, making her way in between the two.

"Vi, you're not thinking clearly." She said, trying to ease the tension but only making it worse.