MUSIC BOX

"You did what? "

"I'm sorry... I tried to fight him off with Mouser, but it didn't work, "

"Well, who saw that coming," Mylo said, raising his hand, answering his own question.

"We should never have gone over there," Claggor said, sulking. His face was decorated with bruises.

"Look, at least she tried Mylo, and it was my fault, I should've acted instead of doing nothing. So if you want to blame someone, blame me." Lavender said, sticking up for powder. He just scoffed looking away.

Vi sighed, walking over to Lavender, gently placing a hand on her shoulder.

"Doesn't matter, stuff is gone. At least you both are okay. " Vi looked down at her, trying to ease her guilt with a little smile. Lav didn't meet her eyes, looking down in shame. She had one job. Protect powder and the haul. Simple, right? So how did everything get so fucked up?

"I get my face bashed in, and they just get a pass?" Mylo complained.

Vi tried forcing Lavender's eyes to meet hers one last time before replying. "Yup."

And they were off.

♪ ♪

Lavender was practically shaking walking back home. The elevator ride was accompanied by bickering between Powder, Vi, and Mylo, who, of course, had only made lavender sick to her stomach. This sucked. Like really sucked.

When the elevator reached the bottom, Vi jumped off, extending a hand for lavender to take. She decided too, intertwining their hands and using her as support.

Lavender expected Vi to unwrap their intertwined hands once they made it to the path home, but surprisingly, she didn't. Vi only squeezed her hand tighter as they made their way through the lanes.

The lanes were nothing like Piltover. It was the exact opposite. In Piltover, you had castle-like buildings, sunny weather, and people dressed appropriately, not trying to sell you anything shady. Here in the undercity, it was always dark, making it hard to differentiate day from night. People here littered the streets dressed in clothing that wouldn't even be considered in topside. Each person in the lanes had a story to tell or something to sell.

Loud music was blaring from where? Lavender had no idea. People were crowded on the streets, staring. Everyone in the lanes knew who they were. They had the unfortunate honorable title of "Vanders Kids". That meant they were untouchable, but that also meant they were always being watched, no matter where they went.

Even though many people would call the underground unsuitable or find it terrifying to be stuck down here, Lav didn't mind it. Sure, she could've had a nice and normal childhood in Piltover if she were born lucky. But that meant she wouldn't have met Vi or Vander, or grown-up knowing how to defend herself. Why would she want to live trapped in a fairytale?

While walking, the five of them passed the brothel, one of the yordels waving at claggor, attempting to be sexy. Lavender watched as he shuddered. Looking over, seeing powder closing in on herself, Lav reached out and grabbed her hand, pulling her close to Vi and her for the rest of the walk home.

Finally reaching the last drop, Vi opened the door with her free hand, making her way through. Lavender tried her best to shield her face from the vander in the distance, but she couldn't help but take a peek, and sure enough, he had spotted them. They stuck out like sore thumbs. Five kids in a bar? It's not easy to go unnoticeable.

Quickly, all five of them made their way down to the steps of the basement. Lavender practically threw herself on the couch. She wanted to sleep so badly, but she knew any minute now, Vander would make his appearance.