BUNNY

Lavender sat on the top bunk, her feet dangling slightly over. She was scared, with anxiety written all over her features. Her hands were slightly shaking as she fiddled with the choker around her neck. She began to hum that tune she always heard vi sing to powder, hoping it would help calm her nerves. It didn't.

Vi left a few hours ago with Vander. He said he was going to show her "why no one wins in war." Whatever that means. Lav just wanted her to come back home. Something didn't feel right. She could feel the shift happening in the lanes now. Whenever she went up above the last drop, customers stared more than usual, scowls evident on their faces. They were mad, rightfully so. If they hadn't gone to the top, then this wouldn't be happening. Guilt plagued Lavender's mind.

A fight was coming.

Lavender's head perked up when she heard rushed footsteps making their way down the basement. For some reason, she had an instinct to hide, holding her breath as she waited.

"Are you in here, Shortcake?" Lavender let out a breath when she saw Vi. Smiling, Vi walked into the shared room, crossing her way over to the bunk bed.

"You scared me. I was starting to get worried." Lavender muttered. Vi didn't respond, instead jumping up on the top bunk and scooting next to her until their knees touched, allowing her feet to dangle below to the bottom bunk.

"Where is everyone?"

"Out. Mylo and Claggor said they were going to look for weapons, supplies, whatever they could find. Powder wanted to go with them, help out. "

"What about you?" Vi asked, "You didn't want to look for supplies?"

"No," Lav stated, "I wanted to wait for you to come back. Speaking of, where did you go? " Lavender pushed back. She needed answers.

"I was out," Vi's eyes shifted down for a moment before looking back up at her. "I brought you a surprise,"

"You know, I hate surprises."

"Then a gift."

"I don't like those either," Lav muttered.

Vi just sighed, reaching behind her and pulling out the "gift" she brought home.

Lavender's eyes opened wide in surprise. In Vi's hand was a small stuffed bunny, dirty and old, with a few stitches coming out. She couldn't help but smile, reaching out and taking it in her hands.

"How-why?"

"Do you remember when you gave this to me?" Vi asked, smiling a little to herself, "I told you I had never had a real toy before. You were so distraught at that thought that you began to cry, so you gave me him." Lavender, remember? The old bunny was one of the gifts her dad brought her on one of his "visits".

"Yeah, I remember that," Lav began, "Vander chuckled at our silliness, said I was being overdramatic,"

"No, you're just sweet,"

"Only to you," Lav muttered. Vi paused at that statement. "And powder," She said back.

"I'm hoping," Vi began. "You remember our promise? About powder."

Lavender let out a frustrated sigh, putting the toy down. "Vi, what the fuck is this about?" This topic made her irritable. Nothing could happen to Vi, it just couldn't.

"Nothing," Vi muttered, her eyes cast down. "You're lying," Lavender stated, eyebrows furrowed, feeling the anxiousness bubbling in her stomach reappear.