MEMORIES AND MISTAKES

Lav stood off in the distance,  her entire body felt like it was glued to one spot. She watched  as a large man lay on the ground, fire surrounding him, but he wasn't alone. Just a few feet away from him was a young girl. She was on her knees, sobbing, screaming for someone to wake up. Lavender watched from afar, feeling sad for the girl. She wanted to reach out to comfort her, but she couldn't.

The pink-haired girl continued to sob, punching the ground in anger and desperation, "Please, please come back to me!" Who was she talking to? Lav had no idea. Every cry, every sob, seemed to echo around her. She felt the heat from the fire warm her skin, but she didn't mind. She liked the burning sensation.

"Don't leave me!" Lav heard another cry come from the girl in front of her, but her hair was no longer red, but powder blue.

"Don't leave me, please! I need you! " The girl cried, reaching forward for something Lav could not see.

Lav watched in horror as the scene unfolded in front of her. She could feel the girl's pain, her anguish. When Lav felt tears fall down her face, she slowly reached up, her body suddenly feeling less rigid as she touched her cheek where the tears fell. She looked down at her hand that didn't look like her own, suddenly becoming distorted as it flicked back and forth between a bandaged fist and her own. She gasped in confusion as she watched.

Everything seemed too quiet. The screaming stopped. When Lav looked up, the young girl from earlier stood before her. Her blue bangs fell slightly in front of her face as her arm slowly reached out, angling at Lav's face. She watched the girl make a finger gun pointing straight at her.

She wanted to run, she wanted her legs to move from their spot, but they didn't. The girl raised her head, her steel-gray eyes looking deep into her own. Lav felt her blood run cold as the girl closed one of her eyes, aiming then making a small "Phew" as she shot at her, giggling.

The blue-haired girl seemed to transform, her blue braided hair becoming pink and short, her build becoming wider and taller. Lav looked at the pink headed teen in front of her. She had no clear face, unlike the blue-haired girl, yet her body language seemed sad, hesitant like she didn't want to do this. Lav could feel her guilt.

"I'm sorry." The pink girl raised her hand as the other girl did before her, taking her aim and shooting straight at Lavender. She screamed as she saw an actual bullet come at her. Fear racked her entire body as she shielded her face, crying out.

"VIOLET, NO!"

Lav awoke in a cold sweat, her heart pounding. She let out shaky breaths as her body trembled, the sheets that laid over her falling off her as she tried to catch her breath. Her hand raced over to her heart, feeling where she felt the girl's bullet pierce her skin, but all she was met with was her huge shimmer scar that covered most of her chest.

She took a deep breath, trying to stabilize her breathing before she awoke the girl next to her. Looking over to the other side of the bed, she saw Jinx laying there, her back turned away from her, her shoulders slowly rising and falling. Good, she was still asleep.

Lav let out a sigh of relief, happy that she hadn't awakened the girl. Jinx rarely slept, only if Lav forced her to. Lav, on the other hand, rarely slept because she was always working, and her job was to protect Jinx no matter what time of day it was. Yet those weren't the only reasons she couldn't close her eyes for more than 30 minutes.

Whenever she gave herself over to sleep, her mind always seemed to be plagued with horrific nightmares laced with distorted memories. It wasn't always like this. Her memories and nightmares seemed to be triggered when she began working for Silco.