Chapter 32 - Reishi

Start from the beginning

Melissa didn’t move until she heard the gunshots coming from the corridor. By the time she got out there, Derek was getting to his feet, unharmed, as Satomi stood over the body of a dead girl, who was holding a gun, but now had a whole in her neck as Satomi held some kind of weapon that she must have had on her.

“I may have learnt how to control my anger, but I still know how to use it.” She stated calmly.

Anna POV

“Anna? Can you hear me?” It was Kira. She was hovering over me with Scott kneeling beside her.

“Yeah.” I croaked as I went to sit up.

“Maybe you should stay down.” Kira said. “Standing up is probably what made you pass out.”

I nodded and remained seated, hunching over my crossed legs. Scott remained quiet, but I could hear his heavy breather. I shuffled back until I was wresting on a wall and Kira and Scott did the same next to me. Mali was curled up opposite us. At first I thought she was asleep, but after a while we heard her shuffled and when I looked over she was holding a piece of paper she had got out of Stiles’ jacket.

“Malia!” Scot exclaimed as he scrambled to his feet as her hand grasped the paper with the deadpool written on it, but she didn’t do anything. “Malia?”

“I can’t see.” She finally said. “I can’t see anything.”

Scott reached out his hand, but then stared at it. “Scott?” I managed to cough out.

“It’s happening to me.”

“Sit down.” Kira breathed out with shaky words. She was finally starting to catch up with the rest of us. Scott stumbled back and sat down back where he was.

“How long should we give Stiles?” I asked.

“I don’t know, but he’s been gone for an hour already.” Kira answered.

“An hour? He just left.”

“Anna…” Scott began, “You were out for an hour.”

“What?”

“Kira saw you moving before so she tried waking up again, but you’ve been out for an hour… at least.”

“That’s too long.” I shook my head as I struggled to stand up. “I’m going after him.”

“You can’t.” Kira said back.

“It’s been too long, someone has to, we’re running out of time. We’re not losing control anymore, I won’t hurt anyone.”

“Anna, you’re too weak, we all are.”

“Nonsense.” I tried to say with enough confidence. “I’m feeling much better after my nap.”Kira went to stand, but fell back down. “See… Kira can’t go, Malia certainly can’t and you’re already starting to lose your sight.” I shrugged.

“This is insane.” He said back to me in a weak voice, but he wasn’t making an effort to stand.

“All we do is insane.” I managed, by some miracle, to make it to the door without face planting which I took as a good sign… good enough anyway. I walked through and closed the door behind me, looking back in time to see Scott nod at me encouragingly.

I took another deep breath and began my shaky incline up the stairs, gripping hold of the railings, but eventually I made it. I walked down the hallway of the school, my hands running along the wall beside me for extra support. I passed the locker room and almost kept walking when I heard a familiar scary voice. “Don’t you think you should tell me where they are? Shouldn’t one of you get to live?”

I practically fell through the doorway and saw the guy holding a gun to Stiles back. He seemed to hear me come into the room and spun around. “You should be blind by now, this pack certainly is tough.” He said in surprise.

“Sorry to burst your bubble.” Stiles took the opportunity to rugby tackle the guy to the ground and quickly jump up. I stumbled forward and pulled Stiles away from him as he lifted up his gun and fired. I felt a sharp pain in my side as Stiles caught me just as another gunfire was heard. I fell into Stiles’ chest and he stabilized me before I could fall the rest of the way down. I looked down at my stomach to see the bullet had gone straight through, but it was only the side, missing my organs.

I looked behind me to see the man dead with a bullet hole in the middle of his forehead. “Your shot.” Stiles whispered. “You can’t heal if you’re sick.” He added just as McCall came into the room wearing a containment suit, holding a gun.

Stiles immediately shielded me behind him, hiding the bullet wound, neither one of us wanting McCall to see it. I guess it was a good day to wear a black shirt.

“Where the hell did you come from?”

“Stiles, listen. I got a call form Melissa. I don’t know what it means, but she said theirs an antidote, Reishi mushrooms, it’s in the vault.

“Where in the vault?”

“It’s in a jar on one of the shelves, she said to tell Scott.” McCall finished. Stiles wasted no time in grabbing me by the waist and pulling me out of the room. McCall didn’t argue.