✦ chapter forty five.

Start from the beginning

f/n shook her head and said, "thank you, trey... but i'm going back to briar valley now, i just came here to say goodbye." trey nodded as he said, "i see... then, take this as my 'good luck on your trip' gift." trey packed some sweet treats in a box that seemed enough to feed at least five people, which was perfect for f/n's case. 'oooh... i can share those with mal, lil, seb, and sil...' thought f/n. f/n had a small smile on her face as she eyed the box and grabbed it from trey, "thank you... how will i ever repay you?"

"no need for that," said trey, "good luck on your way back home. you should take some rest, you're working a lot during the holidays." f/n chuckled as she replied, "you're one to talk. you've been working a lot during the holidays as well." trey and f/n let out a soft laugh before bidding goodbye to each other once again as f/n walked away from the bakery and back to where her father was waiting.

"you seem to know a lot of people... i'm so glad you're making friends in the academy!" gushed vincent. "you're getting all giddy because of me making friends?" questioned f/n as she raised a brow at her father. "of course! you're always such a serious child, even when you were younger! you barely made friends due to all the tasks you needed to do in order to shape yourself into a wonderful woman that you are today. i would like to apologize to you for taking away your childhood like that..." replied vincent.

"it was mostly mother's doing... the whole private lessons and trainings thing... it's alright, i'm not yearning for a childhood like the rest." said f/n. vincent hummed as he said, "doesn't seem like it. i allowed you to attend night raven college so you could let loose, to have fun... you should enjoy your years in the academy, my child... unless you're there for a job?" f/n glanced at vincent once more and thought, 'father doesn't know i've been dealing with overblots?' vincent looked back at f/n and replied, "i know."

f/n's eyes widened as she exclaimed, "don't read my mind like that!" vincent chuckled as he said, "i trust the young prince and lilia... so i do not have to worry." f/n nodded as she stood before the mirror, letting out a sigh as she and vincent passed through it, landing right in front of the palace gates. "we're back..." said f/n as she walked into the castle's foyer. vincent hummed and said, "you should take a rest. your resumption of classes starts tomorrow, after all." f/n nodded and walked towards the staircase, only to be tackled by someone from behind.

"n/n~! you're back," said lilia. f/n turned around and embraced him as she said, "yeah... oh, i bought some sweets from trey's bakery. well, more like he just gave them to me. where's mal and the other two?" lilia pointed towards the door leading to the lounge, making f/n nod in response. "alright, i'll go change and we can eat these sweets." they handed the box to lilia before rushing back to their room to fix themselves. f/n thought back to the conversation that they had while they were having tea with rosehearts.

...

"vincent, i've been thinking... my dear riddle and f/n should be betrothed now that they're older..."

"excuse me?" questioned f/n as she stared at riddle's mother with wide eyes, even riddle was shocked. "mama, i don't think it's best to make decisions like that without our conse—," riddle's mother lifted her hand up as a sign to silence riddle. riddle stopped talking and sat silently as his mother continued talking, "it is merely a suggestion. what do you think, vincent?" f/n looked at her father with a helpless look in her eyes and thought to herself, 'this is so sudden... i don't know what to tell my friends back in the palace! please give me time to think...'

"it is a serious conversation... it's best to let them think about it. they are still studying, after all." replied vincent as he looked away from his daughter. f/n let out an unnoticeable sigh of relief and mentally thanked her father. riddle's mother nodded before turning to look at the two, "i see... then, you two are free to ponder on your decision. you should spend time together more often, it might help you two decide."

riddle and f/n could only nod as they responded, "yes, mama / lady rosehearts..."

...

"beastie? you've been spacing out for a while. did something happen back at the queendom of roses?" asked lilia as he waved his hand at f/n's occupied face. f/n snapped out of her thoughts and glanced at the four of them, busy staring at her with confusion and concern. "nothing too serious..." replied f/n as she continued sipping on her tea, "mal... is there anyone you're planning to marry?"

the other three looked at f/n with wide eyes, shocked by her sudden question. malleus was also taken aback, but remain composed as he replied, "yes... why the sudden question, n/n?" f/n shrugged and continued asking, "is she a noblewoman? or a princess from another kingdom?" malleus blinked at the sudden behavior from f/n before replying, "no, i knew her since i was younger..." f/n nodded before turning to look at lilia, "what about you? you've been alive for so long, but i never saw you dating anyone."

lilia blinked twice before clearing his throat, "what's with the sudden question...? anyway, i'm not planning to marry anyone just yet. however, i do have my eyes set on someone." f/n nodded slowly and turned to look at silver and sebek before mumbling, "probably too early to ask you both..." silver shook his head and said, "remember what i told you before back in the woods behind the campus?" f/n stayed silent as she tried to brush off the rising heat of her cheeks, "...i remember..."

lilia raised a brow as he asked, "oh? what's going on? are you two hiding a secret from us?" sebek looked offended as he exclaimed, "i thought you said no secrets, n/n!!!" f/n giggled at sebek's reaction and said, "it's not a secret, seb. don't worry, i'm not hiding anything from you." malleus crossed his arms as he stared at the first year, "why do you ask?" f/n looked at malleus with an equal stare as she replied, "...theoretically, how will you respond when i am announcing that i am betrothed to someone else?"

all four suddenly went quiet as their eyes went wide. none of them spoke for a moment, causing f/n to grow concerned. "...i said theoretically, i didn't mean i really am engaged..." added f/n. "it's a very serious conversation, f/n..." remarked lilia. 'he didn't call me by a nickname, he's serious...' thought f/n. "why? is someone planning to marry you? if it's kingscholar, i absolutely refuse." snapped malleus. "n-no, no one... i was just asking," said f/n.

"...i'd be happy for you," said silver as he smiled softly at f/n. the pain was quite noticeable as he gazed at the first year, but he still maintained the smile on his face. "i need to know who it is first!!! if they're worthy enough for you... then... then, i have no choice but to support you..." said sebek. "naturally, i'd be happy!" exclaimed lilia, though he could not fool f/n with that act of his. "you won't know how to react," corrected f/n. lilia shrugged as he said, "seems like you know me too well, n/n~"

f/n's eyes shifted to malleus who was sitting silently while staring at her with an unreadable expression, "...mal? why are you looking at me like that?" malleus shook his head and said, "if you are to be betrothed to someone else, i would like to know who they are and if they're good enough for you. i want to know if you'll be in good hands for the rest of your life." f/n nodded and mumbled, "i see... thank you all for your insight. don't worry, it's just a theoretical question."

the four could only force a small smile as they looked at the first year, f/n was completely aware that their mood seemed to be down. "are you alright?" asked f/n. "we're good~ this cupcake tastes so nice," said lilia as he tried to change the subject. "yes... you said you got this from clover, did you not?" asked malleus as he bit the cupcake. f/n nodded as she munched on the munchkin donuts that trey sneaked in the box, "no wonder, there were a lot of customers in the bakery... the food is so good."

"we'll head back to night raven college by tomorrow," reminded lilia, "you know what that means~" malleus nodded as he replied, "the vocal and dance championship is coming soon. are you planning to join the audition, lilia?" lilia nodded with a grin, "of course~ n/n, you should come!" f/n shook her head as she replied, "i'd rather not perform in front of a large crowd... but i will accompany you to the auditions as your companion."