18 | A Heart Is Drawn Around Your Name

Jungkook stared at the ceiling with a blank expression. No matter how much he tried to avoid it, the lingering question kept him up. 'Do I really like her?'  was the question he concluded any statement he could think of. The sense of familiarity and ease he felt with you–was it normal, even when he met you for the first time? The lightheartedness of all your conversations; your smile and crimson cheeks when he joked with you; the butterflies because of those accidental brushing of shoulders with you; texting till late at night in spite of being tired; his sudden sensitivity when you talked to another guy...

Was he falling for it? 
.

.

.

.

Was he falling for you?

While he could comprehend his emotions, at the same time he couldn't. Although he was confused, he knew that this was something just friends don't feel, as Jimin had said before; and he knew he wasn't falling just for his words. He'd noticed it before as well, and he'd thought about it, too, but couldn't reach a final conclusion. 

The least he needed to confirm this was spending some time with you, but with consciousness–not the usual ease he always talked to you with. 

With the plan, he felt a rush of excitement within him, and that naturally made him want to go to your room and embrace you tightly with his arms around your waist. However, he resisted it this once and this was after nights that he fell asleep at peace.

| time skip / next morning.

"Alright! So first, we're going to Hamdeok Beach. We'll be there for about an hour–and then we'll go to the Manjanggul cave. We'll then return to the hotel and go to Hyeopjae Beach about two hours before sunset. Everyone ready?!" the young man exclaimed energetically, to which everyone replied with glee, "Yes, sir!"

Joy was standing beside you as you both gossiped about literally anything going on around you both. "And gosh, look at her," you said, laughing with your mouth covered. "What exactly is she trying to do?!" you questioned rhetorically. "Trying to get guys, of course," Joy rolled her eyes. 

After a while of pause, you both stopped, trying to find someone else to laugh at, when your eyes felt at Jungkook. You felt yourself freeze–not because of the cold, but how ethereal he looked. He was wearing just blue baggy jeans,  and a yellow sweatshirt, but even with that simplicity, he managed to look like a model. 

Jungkook, feeling a continuous gaze on him, looked around and saw you gawking at him making him smile softly. He waved at you and only then did you snap out of your reverie.

'Fuck, why's he waving at me while smiling like that? Does he want me to melt in twenty degrees?' you thought to yourself. Cheesy, you knew, since even you cringed at it at first but it was true. Your heart melted at his beauty, and his enchanting smile was just like a cherry on top. 

"Okay, everyone. Start boarding the buses!" Ms. Kim yelled, and instead of responding to Jungkook, you ran away and got into the bus. You sat on the backseat with Joy, but as soon as you did, you both started arguing.

"I want to sit near the window!" you said.

"But I sat here first, so this seat is mine!"

"I don't see your name written here, thought," you rolled your eyes, crossing your arms against your chest. 

"Hey, don't argue," a familiar voice said making you snap. You looked towards its owner and saw Jungkook standing right behind you. "Everyone's staring at you guys. You can sit there," he pointed towards another seat by the window. You didn't say anything; just nodded and sat there because you were too nervous to say anything in front of him since he looked so exceptionally gorgeous today.

However, Jungkook sat beside you and your heart almost tore your chest and flew out of it. Jimin was sitting with Joy, and he'd already managed to charm her with his talks, so you couldn't intervene. 

"Why are you so weird today? Something happened?" Jungkook asked with concern, noticing your awkwardness. You shook your head. "M-me, weird? You're mistaken! I'm completely fine,"  you smiled at him. 

"Welp, that's visible," he teased. "Anyway... do you like beaches?" 

You looked up at him, baffled at his sudden question. "Well, I love beaches. Whenever I go to beaches, it just gives me a deep, nostalgic feeling. I had a friend with whom I used to go to beaches every Sunday. I don't remember his name clearly, but back then, he was my best friend. But he suddenly left, and didn't come back for years... I cried a lot for him. But now I think that he's... never mind. That was TMI," you snickered, dropping the conversation. 

"That's so cute," he cooed. You raised a brow at him. "Like, you know, crying for a friend even as a chil– I mean, such profound emotions and such a young age," he clarified, eliciting a nod from you. He stayed silent for a while and smiled, feeling as if he'd just gained a lost part of him back after years. A part that he'd longed and yearned for–a part that he knew he'd find in you.

And he couldn't help but fall deeper. 

 All the students ran out of the bus like a huge wave of tsunami. You didn't talk to Joy after the imbecilic argument and decided to stay with Jungkook. The reasons being: one, the stupid argument and two, the fact that she was talking to Jimin from the time she got on the bus.

You ran towards the ocean and smiled brightly. The waves crashed against the shore and the cool water went past your feet, sending shivers down your spine; but you liked it. The waves were rather mellow, but the water was way too cool for your feet, so you retreated yourself from the water and stood on the sand, admiring the ocean's calm waves. 

Midst the chaos made by all your schoolmates, you thought that you were the only one, standing quietly at a place and feeling nostalgic, but it wasn't just you.

Behind you was a young guy with his hands shoved in his pockets. He was just as quiet as you but while you were watching the water with admiration, he was watching you with a more profound sense of admiration. 

"Ay, someone's in love!" Joy whispered in Jimin's ear as she watched the both of you, eliciting a soft laughter from him.

"They'll make a wonderful couple," he remarked.

"For sure," she cooed.

_____________________________________________

edited: 25-10-23