"Chris! I wanted to come, but you're not telling me any details. You know that I need to have some type of control over things, and you're not giving me any," she admits.

Okay, time to back down now. "I'm just messing with you, babe." I take her hand in mine. "You and I are both flying together into Atlanta on January 3. You'll fly home to Jacksonville, January 4. Is that okay?"

"Yes. Thank you for telling me." Opal moves off of the bed and pulls back the covers on her side. "I really wish you didn't insist on taking the couch again. I'm a guest, practically invading your parent's house, I should be taking the couch."

Same argument, just a different state. "Not happening, so stop talking about it."

"Attitude much?"

"Well, when your stubborn side comes out I've got to have some way to combat against it," I answer calmly. "Now, say goodnight, give me a kiss and go to sleep."

"Assertive are we?"

"You agreed to anything I say in this room."

"You're a big dork, Christopher. Do you realize that?" she sasses me.

Getting up from the bed I move over to her side as she lays down. "Yes, I do know that. And I also say you can't full name me in my room either."

"Any other must do's, officer?" she asks timidly.

I help tuck her in before leaning over and kissing her forehead. "I'll get back to ya on that." I turn off the light next to the door. "Sweet dreams, love."

I make my way back downstairs where my parents are finishing up the movie.

"Aw look at you in your little footies," my mom howls out. Of course my dad joins in. "Did Opal give you those?"

I nod my head as I lay out on the couch. "Well? Lay it on me."

My mom looks from my dad back to me. I can't tell if they're trying to decide who should speak first or if it should just be one of them speaking for both of them. "I'm 31, no reason to beat around the bush."

Mom is the one that finally speaks up. "I think a summer wedding would be just wonderful."

"Ma, what did I say about that kind of talk?" I scold her, even though I know my facial expression doesn't match my words.

"Christopher, don't you dare tell me you haven't thought about marriage with that girl. You brought her home for crying out loud."

I stare up at the ceiling, trying to avoid my mother's intense gaze, knowing she'll read me like a book. "It's too soon. It took me long enough to get to this point, I'm not rushing anything."

"But son," now my dad starts in, "it's gotta mean something. You haven't brought a girl home since high school. We barely ever heard about the girls you dated. Are you saying this one isn't any different?"

I sit up on my elbows now. "No, this is definitely different. But, Opal, she's skittish and for good reason. I'm just not going to push anything."

"How does her family feel about you? She didn't mention anyone except her grandfather."

I take a deep breath, knowing that sooner or later they would ask about her parents. "It's just her and her Pops. And I passed the test with him. He's the one that encouraged her to come up here."

My mom sits on the edge of her chair. "What about her parents or siblings? What happened?"

I shake my head side to side while licking my bottom lip. "That's a story that isn't mine to tell. And I don't want either of y'all asking her about it."

"Chris-"

"No," I interrupt my mother. "I'm serious. If she brings it up that's one thing. But neither of you are to ask her anything about it. Give her time, like I did, and she'll open up." I reach up and grab the blanket that was laying across the back of the sofa. "Now, I've got big plans over the next few days so I'm going to sleep. I'll be happy to resume all questioning tomorrow."

~~~~~

Opal POV

I wake up earlier than should be allowed while on vacation seeing as it's only 6 am and the sun hasn't even started to rise. I don't want to make any noise and run the risk of waking someone up. I grab my phone texting Chris to see if he's awake yet.

Me- you up?

Chris- I am now.

Me- sorry. go back to sleep.

Chris- you down or me up?

I laugh at his short hand.

Me- I'll come down.

I do my best to be as quiet as possible as I shuffle down the stairs, still in my footed jammies, but holding Chris' Christmas gifts. By the time I get into the living room I hear light snores coming from him. He's laying on his side, his back against the back of the couch.

I think for just a moment before setting down the gifts on the floor and decide to occupy the empty space next to him. I've only ever fell asleep in his arms while sitting up. I know I'm not falling back to sleep so I'll just relish the time of being this close to him. Carefully I laydown next to him, facing him. I take a moment to just be in awe of him, thinking to myself that I could never grow bored of looking at him, studying him, being with him.

Moving my head just slightly I nuzzle his nose with my own. A low hum escapes his throat just before a very sleepy sounding, "Good morning."

"Morning."

"Couldn't sleep?" he asks, his eyes still closed.

"It's after 6," I whisper.

"What do you want to do?"

"Have Christmas with my boyfriend," I answer.

"You got one of those?"

"I do," I start. "He's incredibly sweet and handsome. He opens doors for me. He keeps me calm."

"Mhm...sounds like he's a keeper."

"He's also falling asleep while I'm talking to him."

"Am not," he says, still not opening his eyes.

"I will lick you again, Christopher." His right brow shoots up.

"Is that a threat or a promise?"