Part. 95

I'm gonna ask Mary-Beth to marry me. I'll never be good enough for her. She deserves more than anything I could ever give. And now we're talking about going to New York. We're starting a new life, and I want to start this new life with us finally marrying. An actual marriage. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little scared. We talked about it, and as soon as I help John with his family and get some real money, we're headed out. Although there's a couple of things I want to do before I leave this life behind for good. I want to see Arthur's grave and tell him some things. And the other thing...well...in case Mary-Beth reads this, I don't want to write it down.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(F/N) sighed as he finished shoveling a cow pen that was full of shit, the stench alone was making his eyes water, "It's times like this, I miss being an outlaw."

John scoffed slightly as he finished his own stall, he wiped the sweat off his forehead as he spoke, "Well, it may be hard but it's honest work."

(F/N) laughed slightly as he leaned against the pen, "Listen, I...wanted to talk to you about some things."

"Sure."

The former outlaw bit his lip, he looked at John's expectant face, and he paused. He couldn't tell him he was leaving, he didn't have it in him. He knew that when he left, he wouldn't see his brother ever again. He took a deep breath, he needed to change the subject, "What were you and Sadie talking about? Before you rode off. What was the 'other thing' you said you'd need me for?"

The color in John's face left, "The thing you need to understand is, I'm done with the outlaw life. I'll only do legal work for the rest of my days. But...after Sadie and I met up all them years ago we made a deal."

(F/N) raised his brow, "A deal?"

John set his pitchfork aside, his expression darkened, "My life got ruined and a lot of my friends and family got killed...all because of one man."

"Micah," (F/N) finished, he slowly nodded as he understood. 

John sighed, "That was our deal. Sadie's been looking for Micah. And as soon as we get a lead, we'll ride out and kill that bastard."

"I'm coming with you," (F/N) said as he looked John straight in the eyes.

John nodded, he knew (F/N) hated Micah more than anyone, "I knew you would want to. As soon as Sadie says..."

"John!" Charles shouted from the outside of the barn.

(F/N) groaned, "It must be the Skinners."

John charged to the barn doors, and opened them rapidly, quickly reaching for his revolver. But he froze as soon as he saw what was waiting for him, "What the hell..." he whispered as he saw Abigail and Jack walking down the path to the house. He had a look (F/N) couldn't quite recognize, he looked happy, happier than he had been in a long time.

(F/N) smiled slightly as he leaned against the barn door. He watched as John ran to his family faster than he thought possible. Abigail and Jack set their suitcases down as he approached them, they were in disbelief at the sight of the ranch, "You...You're..."

Abigail ran to John and John ran to Abigail, they both embraced, they hadn't seen each other in months. Their feelings boiled over as soon as they saw each other. John was still at a loss for words, he was shaking as he set his wife down, he couldn't stop smiling, "I..."

"You always did have a fine way with words," Abigail said as she kissed John on the lips.

(F/N) nodded at Jack. The young boy nodded back as John ruffled his hair, "You doing, alright, son?"