Part. 71

(F/N) sat smoking near his tent, Reverend Swanson's words kept rolling through his head. He took another drag and sighed, what was the right thing to do? He didn't want to do all the bad things that Dutch wanted to in order to save the gang. But he didn't want to jeopardize the gangs future. (F/N) shook his head, Miss Grimshaw walked up to him, "How are you?"

(F/N) looked at the older woman and nodded, he moved those thoughts out of his head, "Fine and dandy, and yourself."

Grimshaw shrugged, "As well as I can be...Mary-Beth came to me in tears and told me what you said."

The gunslinger sighed, as he explained himself, "Well...I wish it would have ended on better terms but she deserves someone better than me."

The camp dragon frowned, she wasn't satisfied at all with his answer, "What is wrong with you? You should be throwing yourself at her feet now, and begging her to take you back! Men like you rarely if ever get good women like her."

(F/N) looked at her, and shook his head, he took a puff from his cigarette, "I want to...but the other part of me knows where this is headed, and I care for her too much to drag her into it. It would be better for both of us if she just left us degenerates. She's to good for me."

(F/N) expected the woman to blow up at him, but instead, Grimshaw sighed, she seemed to drop her angry act, "You're probably right. I know Dutch will see us through, but I'm worried about him, I know it ain't gonna be pleasant."

(F/N) nodded and handed her the cigarette, "I think you're the only reason, none of us have tried to kill each other. But that could quickly change."

The older woman nodded, as she took it, she didn't seem nervous, "I know. And you're not making things better."

(F/N) frowned, "I'm sticking with Dutch."

Grimshaw took a puff, "You're arguing and yelling with anyone who doubts him, I'm worried about you. And him. I'm worried about all of you. I know it's frustrating, but we're a family, families don't do that to each other. If you've lost sight of that, then we're doomed."

(F/N) smiled at her, she didn't understand the complexities of the situation, but she was right to be worried, "You always know how to make me look stupid."

Grimshaw shrugged, "You've always been a fool. You've just gotten better at hiding it. I know you're trying to do what's right though."

(F/N) nodded and stood up, "Thank you...really."

The older woman smiled, "Anytime."

(F/N) looked at the horses, and smiled to himself, "I should probably head off, I have to help Arthur and John blow up a bridge."

Grimshaw nodded, "Alright, be careful. I don't want to hear you got your head blown off."

(F/N) smiled and walked to Bullseye, at least she hadn't lost her mind. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arthur walked up to John, the scarred man was looking at the crates of dynamite, they had stolen, his voice was hoarse when he spoke, "How you doing?"

John turned to look at him, he kept a straight face as he spoke, "Nervous. But...I've been nervous for a while."

John took a pack of cigarettes out of his jacket and got two out, one for himself and one for Arthur, "I had a lot of time to think in that jail and I feel like I just don't know Dutch no more."

Arthur nodded as he took one of the cigarettes, he needed to try to relax, "You ain't the only one."

John nodded, and pulled out a box of matches, he was glad someone understood how he felt, "I ain't sold on the plan either."