The deranged killer prince's guide on toxic love (2)

Alucard could barely contain his bubbling excitement as he stalked down the unnecessarily long hallways. Everywhere he looked was of ancient decor. Superimposed paintings and glass chandeliers and gold vases set on top of minuscule white tables. They were exactly how Alucard had envisioned the aristocratic world to look like.

System 3435, or now, Albert, followed closely behind him like he was his shadow. The feeling of being watched over wasn't that bad. Although inconvenient, he felt safer with Albert a few centimeters behind him. When Alucard stopped abruptly, the system slammed into his back and nearly toppled over if Alucard hadn't managed to grab him by the waist.

The system was immensely displeased.

Alucard's face was curved in silent pleasure. The corners of his lips were downturned while his eyes ceased to meet Albert's just so he could find his humor upon this sudden guffaw.

"Geez.." the system could see Alucard's nose getting longer and longer with every word that he spoke. "Is my back that hard that you were gonna fall down, Albert?"

Was it Alucard's imagination or did the system's immovable face seem colder than before? Albert stood upright, propelling Alucard's chest off him. If this were caught from an outsider's viewpoint, they would've thought the two men were playing hooky in the middle of the hallway. But, the halls were too long that you could barely spot any other figure besides the lovey-dovey two men.

"For your information," the system seemed accustomed to his new identity. He was already pushing his glasses up his nose bridge as though he had been doing that for a long time. "I did not fall over. I merely backtracked but the host overreacted and caught me. From surprise, that was when I actually fell over."

Alucard made a 'you lying baboon' face and shrugged. His white fur coat followed this up and down action, displaying the impeccable elegance that came from the man doing the bare minimum.

"Say what you want, but I know for a fact that this body is very strong!" Alucard flexed his arm and almost squealed from when he could feel the pull of his own muscles. Before he ended up getting too giddy, the system reminded him of his character setting which was supposed to be the cold and domineering type, and not a narcissist who fawned over their own body.

"Shall I remind you that you're supposed to act overbearing, host?"

"And you're really starting to sound like a nagging assistant," Alucard snapped, covering both of his ears while chanting 'la la la' over and over inside of his head, all of which the system could hear as well. He could only helplessly follow behind his host who seemed as though they knew the interior like the back of their hand. The system trusted his host since he was the one with the memories.

Alucard stopped again, this time with a question on the tip of his tongue.

"System.. I meant, Albert. How's the protagonist shou like?"

"This is the first time you've asked of the person you must bring misery to," the system's voice hinted at brewing discontent. "What's the catch?"

Alucard swiveled around, facing the black-haired system. There was an unusual and an out of place, rare expression of solemnness plastered on his face. Perhaps, even a glint of hope. The man's curiosity towards the code made Albert quite displeased; it was like an ugly wave swallowing him whole, and when it was all over, only he was left with the bitter aftertaste and nasty residue.

"You said he's a transmigrator like me too. How does it work? Is the only difference between us that he lives in the fiction world and I in the real world? What if.."

"If you're thinking whether that transmigrator is like you, then I hope you stop. He's a code, host. He's only meant to be made miserable," the system shot down Alucard's suggestion. Admittedly, he felt a tad terrible when he saw how his host's face crumbled, and the worst truth was—he only said these words because he was unsatisfied with Alucard's keen interest in that damn code.