How to steal someone's lover and get away with it (9)

There was it.

That dreadful and dreary silence like a ghost hand was clawing up Meng Yiran's throat. Meng Yiran especially disliked silence when it alluded to an ordeal and especially when Meng Yixing had not said a single word to him or even breathed in his direction. He thought he'd become a scum top, but by the looks of it, he might as well become a puppy gong.

A white hand stretched in front of Meng Yiran's peripheral view, thrusting a quaint, crumpled tissue towards him. Meng Yiran gazed at Meng Yixing skeptically, but he didn't refuse his offer. He dabbed the wrinkled piece at the corners of his lips and chucked it into the trash-can.

Since Meng Yixing didn't seem inclined to mention a word to him, Meng Yiran wanted to flee the scene. But, his fingers barely graded against the metallic handle when a hand slammed the door back into place. Meng Yiran shuddered. If Meng Yixing had really aimed for his head, he was afraid he might end up in a coma.

Meng Yiran licked his lips and tried to wrench the door open, but it wouldn't budge. He sighed exasperatedly, finding the 'shou' protagonist to be extremely petulant. He whipped around and as soon as he did, he was backed up against the door. The 'shou' protagonist glared down at him overbearingly and his hitherto breath wafted over Meng Yiran's blanched face.

"Brother..."

"Don't call me that," Meng Yixing gnashed his teeth.

'Ding! +1 point.'

'Unexpectedly, he's quite a sensitive man,' Meng Yiran tutted inwardly. 'You know what they say.. sensitive men can also be sensitive in bed!'

'I've never heard that saying,' the system rebuked back in its usual monotonous voice. After all, it had been acting increasingly outlandish these days, so Meng Yiran was relieved to see it had reverted back to its old self, though he didn't appreciate the snarky remarks.

'That's because you're too wet behind the ears, system 3435~ it's a wonder how you managed to achieve your name, tsk, tsk. You're not up to par at all!'

'I suppose, host has to teach me about the meaning of my name,' the system's remark went over his head when Meng Yixing's hand fisted Meng Yiran's burgundy tee. A pair of bone-chilling, dark-brown eyes penetrated through his skull as though dissecting him. Meng Yiran was inclined to avert his head, but he was physically unable to. There was no space to turn his head.

"Are you in love with me, Meng Yixing?" Meng Yiran whispered. His slow breath intermingled within Meng Yixing's soft pants of self-restraint. From the corners of his eyes, Meng Yiran saw how Meng Yixing curled up his fingers into a ball as though they were heart-sick for each other. With no choice, Meng Yiran raised his chin and stared straight into Meng Yixing's tumultuous orbs. He couldn't decipher the emotion coruscated within them.

His whispers were akin to a demon that was lulling a soul away from purgatory. "You... like me, don't you?"

"There's no such thing between two step-siblings. Meng Yiran, I want to make this clear," Meng Yixing's voice was low and guttural, coming straight from the bottom of his chest. "What we did today was nothing more than a whim. I apologize for losing control of myself, but you can never, never, hold this against me. No one saw us today and we shall never speak of it again. Got it?"

"Are we people that can just kiss and call it a day? You knew exactly what you wanted, and what you were doing," Meng Yiran grabbed either side of Meng Yixing's collar with both hands and pulled him in even closer, disrupting what little was left of their personal space until the tips of their noses brushed past each other. "But.. I'll give you a condition. Let me tag along with you two and help catch Dyrroth."