Left behind

Mike's p.o.v.

"Are we really going through with this dear? She's only six!" I questioned my wife and she glared at me.

"You said it yourself that neither of us even wanted her. We've been planning this for months Mike. Don't go soft on me now." She spat and I watched as our daughter came running up to us with a paper in her hands. The pom poms on her hoodie bounced as she ran and the large smile on her face made me want to just take her home and away from my wife.

"Mommy Daddy look what I drew!" She cried holding the picture out to us and I gently took it from her. It was a crayon drawing of the three of us. We looked happy and it brought a smile to my face as I ruffled her hair.

"It's beautiful sweetie. Thank you." I said making her smile and I heard a scoff to the side of me. Turning my head I caught my wife's glare at Naya and frowned.

"Yeah sure it's real nice. Go play somewhere else, your father and I are in the middle of something " She dismissed waving her away and I watched as Naya's bright smile wavered before brightening again.

"Okay mommy!" She exclaimed before running off to the play structures. I watched her for a moment until she disappeared within the structure before returning my attention to my wife.

"God she's so fucking annoying. I can't wait to be rid of her." She groaned and I began to wonder how I ever fell in love with this woman.

"Are you sure about this Mary?" I asked again and she rolled her eyes.

"Yes Mike! How many times do I have to say it before it gets through to you? I. Want. Her. Gone." She spat hatefully and I sighed.

"Okay. But do I really have to hurt her?"

"If you're not gonna be man enough to do it then fine. Just get her to eat some of these Moondrop candies or something to knock her out." She instructed holding out a handful of the Moondrop candies. I had heard they help children sleep but I didn't know how well they'd work on Naya due to her insomnia.

"What do we do when she falls asleep?" I asked trying to find a flaw in her plan hoping to see any sort of hesitance about this from Mary.

"Just hide her somewhere or drop her in the ball pit. After that we are leaving and won't have to worry about the bitch again." She said uninterested and I felt a stab in my heart knowing how serious she was.

Sighing, I took the candies from her and walked over to the play structure Naya was in and called her down from it. I looked around nervous, watching the other children while keeping an eye on the daycare attendant animatronic. In a way it creeped me out but the children seemed to love it. I jumped a little, startled when Naya wrapped her arms around my waist in a hug.

"Thank you for bringing me here daddy. This is the best birthday ever!" She thanked as she looked up at me with big innocent violet eyes.

"You're welcome pumpkin. Mommy said she wanted you to have these." I said holding out the candies to her and watched as her eyes lit up.

"Really! Thank you!" She exclaimed and popped one in her mouth. I smiled at her cute expression as she seemed to love the taste. I held her close to me as she ate it and soon enough she began to grow sleepy.

"Damn these things are stronger than I thought they'd be." I thought and rubbed her back shushing her. Soon enough she fell asleep in my arms and I picked her up kissing her forehead. I frowned knowing this might be the last time I'll see her but knew the alternative was worse as I looked back to see Mary glaring at me.

Wanting to get this over with, I walked over to the ball pit and set Naya in it taking one last look at her before she slipped underneath the plastic balls and I left with Mary.