60 - Family First

Start from the beginning

"Hey, what's going on?"

From the corner of his eye, he watched Esai walking up with him. He ignored the guy. 

Esai grabbed his arm, clearly not planning to let him walk away. "Whatever it is—I won't let you leave alone."

Raine scoffed. "Oh, now you care?"

"I always cared about you, Raine. If not, I never would've pulled that stunt with that puta."

He needed all his self-control not the punch him in the face. His family came first—he didn't care what Esai would do. Raine got on his bike and left. Under normal circumstances, he would have told the others what he was about to do, but by now he could care less about formalities. Esai could tell the others he was leaving. 

The moment he heard the rumbling of another bike, he realized Esai had other plans. 

So he's coming with me. Whatever.

Fifteen minutes later they arrived at the petting zoo. He got off his bike and walked past the welcoming sign. Esai followed him as if he were his shadow. 

This time, Raine would leave nothing to chance. Nobody touched his family. He would make that clear, for once and for all. 

Already after a few minutes, he found his sister standing next to a seesaw; Sasha and another child were playing with it. His glance crossed the playground—and only a second later, he found the fucker, standing on the side, hands deep in his pockets. He was looking at the little girl. The thought that he had encouraged Skye to flirt with that creep the last time, made him feel sick. 

"So, who's getting a beat up?" Esai came to stand next to him.

Raine forced himself to relax his clenched fists. There were seven other kids around; they couldn't attack Timothy here. He glanced at his former friend. On the one hand, this whole forced collaboration disgusted him, on the other hand, he was secretly relieved that he wasn't alone. At first sight he could have that idiot, but he might as well have some henchmen around. The other adults at the playground were mothers or older women—granny's, he supposed—not the type of people he expected trouble from. However, it would be stupid to assume that Timothy—or whatever his real name was—was operating alone.

"That guy at the side."

What would he do once he saw them? Run? Would he lead them into a trap?

"Walk over there." Raine nodded to a trail leading through the bushes to a field with goats. If the guy would try to escape, he would run into Esai. 

Esai nodded and walked to the designated area. 

 "Uncle Raine!" Suddenly, a girl's voice blared across the playgrounds. So far the element of surprise. Sasha climbed off the seesaw and wanted to run to him, but Sammy grabbed her arm. 

Creating the impression that he hadn't seen Timothy yet, he spread his arms and walked to his niece, giving her a hug and resisting the urge to look around to find Timothy. 

"Is he still there?" he whispered to Sammy, who'd stepped aside and had a better view than him. 

"He does."

Raine gave her a nod and let go of little Sasha. "Go get an ice cream with auntie Sammy."

"Yeah!!" Thrilled, the girl clapped her hands. "Buy ice cream!"

He exchanged one more look with his sister; then, he placed his hand on his gun tucked behind his waistband and walked to Timothy, who stood about ten feet away from them. He didn't seem to be shocked to see him, nor did he walk away. 

Raine grabbed his upper arm. "Let's have a little walk."

He pulled the gun and pushed it against Timothy's side, making sure his body and kutte shielded off the weapon. 

The man turned pale, his eyes wide in shock. 

"Walk," Raine grumbled. 

"This is—"

"Walk." He pressed the gun closer against the man's body, who nodded quickly and walked with him clumsily.

The man looked confused, maybe even shocked. Raine tried not to be fooled by it, but he had a feeling something was off. Unless his behavior was an act, he didn't come off as someone who was part of an organization provoking motor gangs. 

They moved around the corner, walking across the fence. Goats followed them, bleating. 

Esai showed up on Timothy's other side. On any other day his friend would have made taunting comments, but now he only studied Raine's face, as if he wasn't sure what Raine expected of him. 

Raine didn't know what he expected from him either.

He pushed the man further until they passed some kind of shed next to a large chicken coop. Hoes were leaving against the wooden wall. Stepping over a few buckets, he pulled Timothy along. Out of sight of any visitors, he pushed the man against the wall. 

"This is the first and the last warning. If I ever see you around that little girl again, I will blow you to pieces."

The man was shaking, his adam's apple bobbing as he swallowed.

"Who are you?" Esai asked. "What do you want from Sasha. Are you a filthy pedo?"

"No!" the man answered in a heated voice. "I'm — I'm her father."

Abruptly, Raine lowered the gun. Suddenly, it felt like his breath was cut off. 

"W-what?"

If you enjoyed this chapter and you want to support me as a writer, it would mean the world to me if you'd leave a comment, vote and follow my profile ♥