Chapter 2 He's So Fine

Start from the beginning

Perhaps life was finally on the up after all. Maybe she was a sign it was all going to be alright, maybe the universe was finally tired of fucking with me... I was getting ahead of myself. Turning back for another look, she was gone.

Jay One year later...

"Need more pennies,"

"Sorry Charlie, no more, you've cleaned me out." Which was a darn shame as it had been bliss hiding out in the cool dark depths of the arcade, away from the sun baked concrete stretch of promenade that ran for miles along the beach.

"But it's hungry and I need more." He began to whine, signalling the beginning of another mini meltdown.

I really couldn't cope with that on top of everything else today. What was it with this damn country? It never seemed prepared for the weather. It was hot, it was the beginning of summer and although it wasn't near the heat of California, it was sticky and humid and nowhere had air conditioning. Nowhere.

I lifted Charlie down from the stool that had been boosting him to coin slot height and his little legs began to flail. Catching me in my knee, I buckled, momentarily losing my grip, wriggling free he dropped down and ran off. Shit.

"Charles get your butt back here now!" I yelled.

A guy on a nearby slot machine laughed out loud and nodded off to his left.

"Your kid went that way,"

"He's not my kid he's my brother," I bit out, sick and tired of that assumption as I hobbled off in pursuit.

I'd been back less than 7 hours and already in trouble. I started to panic as I wove around the machines and couldn't see him anywhere.

"Come on Charlie please," I coaxed, the blood started rushing in my ears and I felt dizzy running round the dark labyrinth in circles.

Then I heard him giggle "More pennies!"

Back where I started, I found him tottering on the high stool feeding coins into the sweeper machine with the guy from earlier propped up against it, waggling his eyebrows.

"Charlie what have I told you about running off and talking to strangers!"

"He's not that strange, he's Loaf and he has pennies not sweeties." he beamed.

Loaf was maybe a few years older than me. He was slightly heavyset, pasty white with a really expressive face, over rubbery lips and caterpillar eyebrows which were waggling at me again.

"Yup that's right I'm Loaf and you are..?" He didn't meet my eyes this time but aimed slightly lower. It was hot and my cropped T shirt was sticking to me. I was bra less as I've nothing worth supporting, so I couldn't imagine what he was staring at. I re-adjusted my pony tail in frustration and raised my eyebrows pointedly in disapproval. He at least has the sense to look caught out, before bouncing back with another eyebrow wiggle.

"Charlie come on we're off,"

"Hey Charlie five more coins if you can tell me your sister's name." Loaf countered.

"10," Charlie hustled.

Loaf narrows his eyes "ok,"

"It's Jay," "Charlie no," I moaned simultaneously.

"Jay what?" Loaf persisted.

"Just Jay, now pay up,"

"Quite the little handful isn't he?" Loaf laughed as he handed over the coins.

"You don't know the half of it." Despite the ogling, I didn't feel particularly threaten by Loaf, he was a bit of a goof ball hamming it up with Charlie.