xxviii - together

"You're going to have to talk to her at some point Scott. I can't imagine what it feels like to have your own mum say something like that to you but you can't ignore her forever." Shay frowns at his mother, Delilah's words. He knows Scott can't be persuaded to do something once he's made his mind up but maybe his mum will manage to get through to him.

"I know I'm going to have to go home at some point but I just can't right now. I just can't imagine looking at her and not only be able to hear the things she said to me that night." Delilah nods as she listens to Scott talk. She knows he doesn't need advice right now; he needs support.

"As long as your dad is okay with it you can stay here for as long as you want. You're practically my son too, Scott," She chuckles. Scott smiles gratefully. Thankful that she's more accepting than his supposed mother.

When Shay hears their conversation take a more positive turn he decides it's a good time to interrupt now.

Walking into the large sitting room where his best friend and mum are sat he claps his hands together saying, "Are we good to go?" The two stand up to face Shay.

Scott picks his duffel bag up from its original position by his feet and walks over to Shay who is stood at the door frame.

"I was waiting for you. Are you ready?" Shay nods laughing awkwardly considering he'd taken an extra hour to get ready because he got distracted thinking about a certain chestnut haired, ocean-eyed girl.

"Heading off now?" Delilah asks leaning in to kiss both boys cheeks, simultaneously hugging them.

"We'll only be gone for a few days. You'll see us soon," Shay grins kissing his mums cheek. She smiles back, looking at the two fondly. "I know, but you're my babies. Call me when you get to the airport, yeah?" The two boys nod, mock saluting.

"Okay, I love you have fun." Before the two can make it out the door though, Delilah calls out one more time. "Oh and tell your brother I love him too." Scott and Shay both chuckle. "I'm sure you told him enough to suffice for the next few days before he left last night but okay. You're acting like that thing called technology doesn't exist for us to be able to communicate when we're not within talking distance." At the look on his mother's face, Shay laughs.

"I know. Crazy, right?" He continues laughing as she shoves him out, locking the door behind him.

"We're leaving for the airport in a few minutes. I just wanted to call before we left in case I forgot after." Scott leans his head against the couch behind him, choosing to get comfortable on the fluffy carpet instead.

"Have you packed everything? Do you need me to quickly bring anything over?" Scott lets out a small laugh at his father's worried tone. "괜찮아요. I've got everything, I promise." For a moment, the line goes silent. Only the sound of chirping birds can be heard as the two try and figure out what to say to each other.

[it's okay]

Eventually, Scott's Dad finds something. "Have fun, Jae-in. I love you and I miss you but don't worry about me, alright? I trust you're being taken care of at Shay's, I've spoken to Delilah, you can stay there for as long as you feel comfortable. And I also trust you and your friends so that eases my mind. I'll see you when you get back, 알았어?" Scott almost nods then remembers his Dad can't see him.

[okay?/ alright?]

"Okay. I'll see you when I get back. Love you too."

Scott doesn't realise a stray tear is making its way down his cheek until he gets brought out of his thoughts by Alec sitting down next to him. He quickly wipes the back of his hand across his face and sniffles before peering over at the brunette boy.

Ignoring Scott's current state Alec asks, "Are you ready?" Scott stares at him for a few seconds. "Yeah," He replies quietly after a few moments. Alec smiles softly at him before leaning in and wrapping his arms around the taller.

For a while, the two boys sit on the Oliver's carpet in each other's embrace. With his face buried in Alec's neck Scott lets a few more tears slip. His grip tightens around Alec's torso as Alec runs his hand through Scott's hair to calm him. The two have been through so much together; derogatory words said in the heat of an argument with no real malice behind them barely puts a dent in their relationship. They may not be 'together' anymore but sometimes people aren't ready or the timing isn't right.

Eventually, Alec and Scott pull away from each other. Scott wipes under his eyes and face, making sure any 'evidence' of him crying is gone. Alec looks up at the digital clock on the wall as he gets up.

"Time to go." He offers a small smile and a hand. Alec pulls Scott up and the two go find their stuff to load into the car.

And just like that, they move on with their day.

-

2/7/22

finally secured a new job and with really good pay. live love laugh