PROLOGUE

16/10/21

heyy, if you've read the old version this is mostly the same prologue just more added at the start <33

oh also if they seem really dramatic at some points it's on purpose because i feel like this is what teen relationships are like lmao

also also i genuinely start liking this book from chapter 8 so if you start losing hope i swear it gets better 😭

-

Around ten years ago my parents and I moved from Ireland to England, Kent to be exact

Around ten years ago my parents and I moved from Ireland to England, Kent to be exact. Worst decision of my life to be honest. I strongly dislike EDL land but that is besides the point. They uprooted me when I was seven and now I'm eighteen, so I seem to have survived somehow. I guess I owe it all to my best friends. That was also a process. One by one we became attached by the hip and now we're all inseparable, much to my dismay sometimes. I love my best friends unconditionally, but I do not love how suffocating they are sometimes.

Okay, maybe I do. Again, besides the point.

My point is I don't know where I would be without them. Without my snobby, entitled, gorgeous best friends and Arden. He doesn't deserve any titles. He is truly insufferable.

Let me just walk you through the little stunt he pulled last week to really give you some insight.

"What is it with people and trying to have sex with you?" Freedom laughs. My best friend everybody. Arden's twin. Identical personalities most of the time, that makes it very hard for me not to chuck her into oncoming traffic sometimes.

"Shut up. Don't make this sound any more conceited than it already does." Freedom stifles another laugh, rolling her eyes at me in the process. "Nev you're enough of a narcissist already. Nothing I say will make this sound any more conceited." I personally think that warrants the smack in the face I give her with one of her various pillows. "I am very slightly offended but I'll let it go, just this once." Humour twinkles in Freedom's eyes but she doesn't say anything else and lets me finish my story.

"As I was trying to say, he then proceeded to call me a slut even though I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole. Didn't really add up but each to their own. Then," I exaggerate, "He had the audacity to say I should be easier. Like Delilah apparently. So I slapped him because Delilah can do whatever she wants with no judgement." Freedom smiles proudly at my statement. Jack Dylan accusing people of whoring around is irony at its highest form. The definition of the pot calling the kettle black. So insanely ridiculous.

"Sounds like a you problem. No one cares Nevaeh." I roll my eyes hard at the sound of my name leaving his mouth.

"Arden. Thank you so much for gracing us with your presence. Go away." Freedom gets up to slam her bedroom door in his face but he's quicker. Arden now stands in front of me on Freedom's massive purple bean bag.

"Can you stop trying to date everyone on my fucking team. It's embarrassing." If I could I would be raising an eyebrow right now. "I'm sorry your teammates think I'm hot K but that sounds like a you problem," I mimic using his nickname that I so kindly gave him. Arden's jaw clenches ever so slightly. Eight year old me thought the fact that you don't pronounce the k in words beginning with 'kn' was so bizarre. Arden's middle name being Knox fuelled my confusion, which led me to just calling him K out of spite after multiple arguments about the odd spelling.

Before the six foot one boy can reply I get up and leave Freedom's room. The twins following after me. "I just remembered my essay. You'll come over later?" I spin around, directing my question at my best friend. She nods amused at yet another one of her brother and I's squabbles.

With her confirmation I finally make eye contact with Arden again.

"And for your information, I have not dated anyone on any of the sports teams. You know I don't date K. Don't be a dick." "Maybe you'd have more suitors if you weren't such a bicycle, not everyone gets a go." My mouth drops open. Arden laughs arrogantly as I shove him down the hall.

"God, suck a dick you bitter shit." I shove him again for good measure before making my way to the kitchen.

Suddenly my throat is unnecessarily dry.

"Very bold for a man-whore," I bite as I grab a glass from the cupboard before approaching the fridge. Arden laughs again, stalking behind me.

At this point, I know he picks fights with me on purpose. Though he's so aggravating that I can't help but play along.

I fill the cup with the water dispenser before pulling away. I turn around just for Arden to pull the cup out of my hand. So annoying. I close my eyes, suddenly hyper aware of my breathing.

When I reopen them I immediately register how unnecessarily close Arden is. If I breathed in deep enough our chests would probably touch.

I peer up at Arden through my eyelashes, watching his Adam's apple bob up and down as he gulps down my water. Emphasis on my. I continue to watch as he puts the glass down on the counter then swipes his thumb across his bottom lip, his blue eyes piercing into my brown ones.

Clearly, you guys see the problem.

The gorgeous six foot one blonde boy is such a pain in my ass.

-

this feels pretty cliche but we move