Chapter Fifty-Seven

They were in the back of the aid car, Carina constantly checking Maya's vitals. Since having the mask on Maya could breath a little better but was still struggling. Andy sat watching things closely with Hughes driving.

"Carina" Maya whispered she held her hand out to hold.

Carina turned around and held onto Maya's hand, "I've got you bambina. Dr Pierce is waiting for you"

"Baby, hug me please" Maya wheezed.

Carina leaned down and wrapped her arms around Maya as best as she could. She gave her a gentle kiss on the head, "Carina..."

"Hmm?"

"I'm- I'm a little scared" Maya breathed but started to cough. She couldn't control her coughing, she ended up having a coughing fit.

"Hughes put your foot down!" Carina shouted "She's coughing up blood!"

"Maya bambina I know it's hard but you need to try and breath" Carina soothed, "Breath bella. You need to breath"

Maya slowly started to stop coughing, she spat out a pile of blood from in her mouth and fell backwards on the bed. She gripped onto her chest tightly and tried to breath.

"Almost there guys!" Vic shouted.

"You're okay, you're safe here" Carina sat next to her and held onto her hand, "I know you're scared my love but I will be here the entire time, I won't leave"

The aid car stopped and the back doors flung open. "DeLuca, what do we have?" Dr Bailey asked.

Carina looked at her with scared eyes, "It's Maya"

"Right get her in!"

They quickly wheeled her into the ER and into a trauma room. Carina reeled off everything that happened, "I think it's to do with the fire on the weekend, she ran in and saved a father and son but didn't have any gear" she kissed the back of Maya's hand, "I've been checking her over twice a day since, everything was normal" Carina panicked.

"Okay Dr DeLuca, we've got her, I'm going to set up a few scans now, we'll run all the usual tests. Don't worry" Dr Pierce said calmly holding onto Carina's arm. "But you now need to wait outside"

Carina let out a deep sigh, she leaned down and kissed Maya's forehead, "I'll be right outside bambina, I love you"

"I love you too" Maya croaked out.

Carina left the trauma room and her brother ran towards her. "Carina what's going on?"

"She can't breath, her lungs are healing from the fire on the weekend but she's been working out really hard today and I think it's just got a little much for her" Carina sighed and landed her head on Andrews shoulder.

Andrew wrapped his arms around his big sister holding her close. "She'll be okay, she's strong" Andrew soothed, "She's with the best doctors"

Carina paced the corridor for what felt like eternity, they'd closed the blinds in the room leaving the Italian feeling clueless. She didn't understand how this could have happened, she gave her a check every day and it was all fine.

Maggie came out of the room and walked to Carina, "We're going to take her up for a scan, even though she was coughing up blood I don't think it's anything to worry about, it's just irritated but these scans will confirm that"

"Thank you Maggie, can I see her?"

"Of course, we will be taking her up very soon" Maggie smiled and left to book it in.

Carina walked in the room, Maya was covered in different wires and surrounded by monitors.

"How are you bambina?" Carina asked softly.