Chapter Twenty-One

Maya anxiously paced the apartment, her phone in her hand ready to press call. "I don't know what to say" Maya sighed.

"That's okay, take your time" Carina encouraged from the couch.

Maya nervously pressed the button and the dial tone started playing.

"Hello?"

"Mom, it's me" Maya sighed.

"Oh hey sweetie, how are you? I haven't heard from you in a while"

"I uh- I have to tell you something. Something happened" Maya stuttered nervously.

"What is it sweetheart?"

"It's about Dad, he-"

"Oh what's that bastard done now?" Her mother cut her off.

"Mom there was an accident, this morning" Maya took a deep breath "I got called to a car crash and it was Dad mom, he- he uh-"

Carina stood up and walked to Maya holding onto her hand for support. "It's okay" she mouthed gently kissing her temple.

"What is it Maya?"

"He's dead mom, he died this morning. I was there at the scene, he had bad internal bleeding, I was there when he died"

"Wh-what? He died this morning and you're only now telling me?" Her mother asked raising her voice slightly.

"I needed time to think mom, I needed time to process what happened"

"You needed time? He's my husband Maya!" Her mom shouted.

"You left him remember! You haven't seen him in months! Not exactly much of a husband if you ask me" Maya snapped.

"You don't speak to me like that Maya. You were there and you didn't tell me! What didn't you do? Why didn't you save him? You should have saved him" Her mother angry sobbed on the other line.

If Maya's heart wasn't already broken, it definitely was now.

"Because I'm a firefighter mom not a doctor-!" Maya cut herself off and sighed deeply "Can you tell Mason?"

"No, you tell him, you can break his heart too!" her mother snapped.

"Dad did that along time ago mom! I have nothing to do with that!"

"Nothing to do- ha that's funny Maya. I'll text you his number" Her mam snapped.

"Mom don't be like that-"

"I have to go Maya" her mother quickly hung up the phone leaving Maya stood there in disbelief.

"Are you okay bambina?" Carina asked quietly.

"I need some air" Maya quickly threw on a bra and a pair of joggers before rushing out the apartment.

Maya ran to the park about one mile away and started running laps, every two laps averaged out to be a mile. An hour later the blonde had ran about twelve laps of the park, she collapsed onto the nearest bench. Her legs hurt, her arms hurt, her stomach hurt and most importantly, her heart hurt.

She wasn't sure how she felt, her father mentally abused her all her life, he stabbed her, he ruined her childhood, abused her mother into not speaking, disowned his own son. He wasn't a good man, so why was Maya so upset. She slung her head back over the bench trying to get more air into her lungs.

"Maya"

The fire Captain looked up to see Dr Shepherd holding a coffee and a bottle of water. She handed the water to the blonde then sat next to her on the bench. "Thanks" Maya gasped gesturing to the water that she had just downed in one.