Chapter 26

'Right, here we go,' Encre thought the next morning as he entered the training arena. Dawn was only a few minutes away, and a group had already gathered for the tryouts. Encre breathed in, and out, calming himself down. His combat skills were exceptional, at least he hoped they'd be to Eterna, but he remained positive. If he didn't get into the guard, meh, sucks for them. He was a pretty good fighter, so they would be missing out.

His confidence dropped considerably when he saw Eterna suplex a guy almost one and a half times her own height, and Encre gulped. Cinnamon, who had followed him, pawed at his leg. Encre looked down and grinned.

"It's alright, Cinnamon. Eterna's a friend, I'm sure there's nothing to worry about-"

"ATTEEEEEEENTION!!!"

Encre jumped when the order was sounded. He raced to the end of the line of potential guards, and stood at attention as Eterna paced in front of them.

"ALRIGHT, YOU SISSIES!!! LISTEN UP! YOU AREN'T HERE TO WAVE AROUND SWORDS LIKE BATONS, YOU AREN'T HERE TO DRESS UP LIKE PRETTY PINK PRINCESSES IN ARMOR, AND YOU'RE NOT HERE TO LAY DOWN YOUR LIVES OR THE LIVES OF YOUR COMRADES TO THOSE FILTHY BEASTS! YOU'RE GONNA LEARN DISCIPLINE AND TEAMWORK, BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY, YOU'LL LEARN HOW TO KILL A VAMPIRE! AM I CLEAR??!!"

"YES MA'AM!!!"

"Good," her voice grew quieter for a moment, and she motioned for Azure to come forward. "This is Lieutenant Azure. You will go to him with questions about drills, schedules, and weaponry. You come to me with questions on how to take down our opponents! Now, form up into groups of two!"

They did as asked, and Encre ended up with a cat monster missing an arm. He eyed him curiously, wondering why a monster missing a limb would want to sign up for the guard. But then, the cat monster pulled a prosthetic arm out and attached it to his stump for an arm. Encre watched in admiration as the arm moved in tandem with its organic twin, and he couldn't help but be impressed.

"Quite the technology you got there, Mr...?"

"Neil. My name's Neil."

"Nice to meet you, Neil! I'm Encre."

"Nice to meet you, too."

They didn't get much more time for conversation, because Eterna began handing out silver swords. She then had each person grab a set of armor and put it on.

"ALRIGHT!" she commanded, pulling out her own sword. "FACE YOUR PARTNER, AND HOLD THOSE SWORDS STEADY! YOU'RE GONNA LEARN SOME BASIC JABS AND SWINGS, AND YOU'LL TRY 'EM ON YOUR PARTNERS! KEEP IN MIND THAT ARMOR IS ONLY GOOD FOR KEEPING THOSE BEASTS AT BAY, NOT PROTECTING YOU FROM A POORLY AIMED STAB! NOW HUSTLE!"

Four hours later....

Encre wiped his forehead and drank some cold water. The recruits were taking a well-deserved break, cooling off in the autumn sun. Neil came over and sat next to him, drinking some water, himself. He wiped his mouth, then turned to Encre.

"Pretty good for your first day, newbie."

Encre raised a brow.
"Not so bad yourself. But aren't you a newbie, too?"

Neil shook his head with a cheshire grin.
"Nah, kid. I was once in the Royal Army. I fought in the war dividing the mortals and vampires, so I know a thing or two about fighting them. They are real strange creatures, those vampires. Cutthroat and bloodthirsty one minute, then cool and calm the next. Makes you wonder what goes on inside their heads. What kind of magic they got hidden up their sleeves."

Encre turned to fully face Neil.
"Wh-what kind of magic do they have?"

Neil chuckled.
"The kind that makes you question your entire existence. I don't know much about it, but it can make you go crazy. I've seen it happen. Just don't believe everything you see, and I think you'll be ok."