C H A P T E R 6 0

- Flashback -

- The day Haneul visited Jaehwan in the police station -

Haneul's POV

"One name, Jeon Jungkook." Jaehwan pointed a finger upright.

"The CEO of GOLDEN?" I asked.

"Spot on. He was the main person behind this. He's the reason I've ended up here, rotting behind bars." Jaehwan slammed his fist on the counter, upset.

"But isn't he like, the glamorous kind of boss who is just out there providing a living for himself? And showers in Gucci or something?" I mindlessly inquired.

"That's what everyone thinks of him. Bold, mighty and powerful man walking on Earth. Heck, even his girlfriend bows down to him at times as he was just THAT influential. One snap of his finger and you'll be sent to do all of the dirty work on his behalf. I learnt that the hard way." Jaehwan said but I still couldn't get his point.

"So, what is it you're trying to tell me?" I questioned.

"Jina, that brat's girlfriend, felt threatened by your presence. For what reason? Love. She was threatened by the fact that you're dating some guy named Taehyung and was absolutely jealous and wanted to get rid of you so that she can have Taehyung all by herself." Jaehwan scoffed in disgust. On the other hand, I wasn't surprised as I already knew Jina's tactics of getting me out of her way for her to grasp onto Taehyung a long time ago.

"But during that time, she didn't really have that much of money to pay me to do anything. Instead, she ran to her boyfriend and told him to do her deeds. And you know what Jungkook did to me? He called me up one night while I was drinking with my friends and told me that if I didn't do what he told me to do to you on the night of your accident and told the police about it, he will come after my family. As he has all the money in his pocket, he knew he could control just anyone, even the authorities." Jaehwan's breath became heavier and I could tell that he was trying to control his anger.

"My family is so innocent, Haneul. I have no idea how Jungkook even know that I had a family. My wife and two daughters were so precious to me and I felt so bad having to helplessly agree to what Jungkook told me to do despite not knowing who he was back then. I believe he had done some thorough background check on me as well as he also threatened to spill to the police about my previous crimes, knowing that those crimes were my weak point which could've sent me to prison. So, I had to agree to perform the accident because I didn't want to be jailed. A week after the accident, he gave me a large sum of money in return but what good did it make, honestly? I'm already behind bars, my family is torn apart, I've put you in such a critical situation before, how much damage am I suppose to go through?" A tear slipped out of Jaehwan's eye and I felt sorry for him although he was the cause of my near death.

"I really didn't want to do this to you, Haneul, believe me. I didn't even know your name before I was told to come after you. As a father of two kids, I know how precious a child is to his or her family. I swear I wanted to just flee the country with my family at that time but I had no money to do that either. Everything was so screwed up and I'm here repenting for my wrongdoings my whole life. I don't even know when is the next time I could hug my kids without having this glass wall separating me and them." Jaehwan wiped another tear that fell from his eye and I looked down.

I could not stop the single tear that was running down my cheeks seeing Jaehwan looking so defeated like this. But the only thing I was thinking about was why was he hiding the real reason of his involvement in the accident for such a long time?