» XXV «

The following morning, we received a rather unpleasant news.

“I shouldn't be surprised but...finding the shot to eliminate us than finding the cure first is a bit too cruel,” Jay furrowed his eyebrows.

I released a shaky breath before leaning on the wall and closing my eyes, “People have to be so rude.”

“Wait, how come they know it's effective? Did they test it on someone?” He glanced at my side.

“They didn't mention anything about that,” Riki muttered.

“Should I ask Sunoo?” I suggested.

“If Riki doesn't know, how would he know?” Jay asked.

“He might had been able to keep in touch with Sunghoon,” I stated before taking out my phone. Another breath escaped my lips as I waited for Sunoo to pick up.

“You finally called,” Sunoo spoke gloomily.

“Yeah, I guess you heard about the news too,” I frowned.

He started sniffling, “You did too? Gosh, I literally have no words.”

“A-Are you crying? Don't worry, they won't catch us—”

“Wait, you don't know?” He abruptly stopped sobbing to ask.

I blinked in confusion, “What do I not know— I don't have much time so I'll just get to the point and ask, did they perform any tests on one of the people they held captive?”

“Yeah, Sunghoon was the one they tested.”

I instantly remained silent upon hearing his words. There was a big lump in my throat and a tear forced itself to roll down my left cheek.

“What's wrong?” Jay asked worriedly after noticing the tears in my eyes.

It took him only a single word to understand the situation, “Sunghoon.”

I finally broke down and plopped down on the nearest seat. The room was filled with me sobbing uncontrollably. The moments I had spent with Sunghoon flashed before my eyes.

Guilt was eating me alive as I recalled the times I ignored him when he needed me the most and the times I treated him like he wasn't worth my time.

“I never got the chance to apologize,” I cried. He finally changed himself to give me space and stopped bothering me but I was too caught up with everything else to even thank him or say sorry to him.

៚ · •

After almost an hour of mourning Sunghoon's death, Jay and I were back in the car to drive further away from where we were staying. The thought of Sunghoon was still upsetting me to the point that I did not speak a single word during the first few minutes of the ride.

Jay told Riki about our next destination before leaving so that he could be of some help in the future. He was unsure about it first but Riki assured him that he would give a false lead to the cops if they ever went there to capture more of their kind.

“Jongseong, can you promise me something?” I softly asked.

He glanced at me before responding, “Sure, what is it?”

I sighed, “Please don't ever leave my side.”

“Of course, I won't, Hyewon. I'll make sure I keep us safe until this is all over and even after that,” he stated while keeping his eyes on the road.

“Thanks...” I barely smiled, “...but you never know what may happen,” I mumbled.

“Did you have any side effects this morning, by the way?” He asked in caution.