» III «

I was busy whining and complaining about how unlucky and messed up I was to my brother. “No one will ever take me in!” He frowned at me. “It's not the end of the world, don't worry. You'll get a shot in the future eventually.” “I doubt that, with my whole—” My phone started ringing. I sighed out of frustration and yanked it from the table. “What?” I answered without looking at it. “Congratulations, Miss Hyewon. You are picked as one of the new eight members in - - - company. We'll let you know about more information later. Have a lovely day!” They hung up before I could say anything. Who in the frick fracking hell is messing with me? I stared at the screen for several seconds. “Who was it?” Jake asked, tilting his head. I took one of the cushion pillows and threw it at him. “I GOT IT BISH!”

“This is great. I knew you would get it.” Sunoo cheered the next day as I walked beside him. “I'm pretty shocked. The first time they called, they said I didn't get it. But then at around 6:00 PM they called again, telling me that I got it.” Sunoo stopped in his tracks and turned to me. “You're the replacement?!” “What?!” “Shh...don't shout.” “Well, you shouted so I just did. What do you mean though? Replacement?” “A wolf in a sheep's clothing managed to get one of the seats. But luckily, we found it out the same day she started working. She got fired directly and we had to pick the replacement.” “Oh, I didn't know. Well...” I sighed and closed my eyes. “I thought they had finally picked me because of my reports but looks like I'm just the replacement.” “Hey~ don't think it like that. Come on, you haven't met ‘the boss’ here, have you?” I shook my head and he dragged me in an elevator.

I was standing in front of a well dressed businessman in a blink of an eye. He looked at me and then at Sunoo. “This is her?” “It is her.” He smiled brightly at him. He nodded and looked back at me, eyeing me up and down. “You just got lucky. Remember that. If it wasn't for your...never mind. Sunoo, make sure you guide her around properly. I'm sure you know well how things work in here better than anyone else.” The latter's smile got bigger. “I will do my best! Let's get going.” He dragged me, once again, out of the room before I could ask any questions. “I never caught his name.” I finally managed to speak as he continued to drag me around. “Oh, he says he's Jay Park.” “‘He says’?” “Mhm, we were all confused too when we heard it. But he really looks like a ‘Jay Park’. If you know what I mean.” “Does he have another name?” “Never asked. No one asked, I suppose. Now, focus.”

I was brought into a room where several people were already busy chatting with each other. “We had to postpone the meeting from yesterday to today, because of the ‘spy’.” He chuckled. “So, these are everyone.” I greeted them as Sunoo brought me in front of them one by one. “So, you luckily got in too?” My eyes widened to see a familiar face. “How did you— When did you— Where did you— Why are you— What are you—” “I was the lucky eighth pick. Jay chose me himself.” He chuckled, smiling proudly. I folded my arms. “I'm not that lucky. I'm just the replacement.” “The what—” “Hey, Sunoo. Didn't you know I didn't get picked the previous day? Because you would have known that I was the replacement right away earlier.” “Ah~ well, that was because I didn't have the chance to meet any of these new workers until today. Hey Sunghoon~” I turned back to Sunghoon. “We were sent back before we could see each other.” He smiled sheepishly. “Hmm...sounds like you're not lying.” Everyone got interrupted as the door opened.

Three familiar figures walked in as they started greeting the ones who were already inside. “How do they always look so good in suits? It's not fair.” Sunoo complained. “Hello— oh~ he picked you.” “Hmm, yeah, maybe.” I hummed and he just smiled. I had forgotten his name. “I hope you're not mad at us for not picking you in the first place.” Jungwon, as I remembered, winced. “It's all cool. I'm used to it.” He nervously chuckled. “Miss Hyewon~” I wasn't ready to getting pulled into a warm hug by him. I suppose this is...Heeseung? I hesitantly hugged back. He pulled away, smiling. “I need to thank Jay for picking you as the replacement. Ah~ this is so great~!” He embraced me once again, Sunghoon watching with jealousy from behind.

Everyone continued having conversations with someone they had taken interests in. For Heeseung, it was me. He hadn't left my side even for a second the moment he noticed me. At first, he asked something related to work but after a minute or two, the questions started to get a little too casual. “So that's how Jungwon knew you.” “Maybe.” “I thought you knew each other because you used to go to the same school.” “Yeah, everyone thinks that, although we're not that close with each other.” “Hyewon.” Sunghoon's voice rang out from behind. “What is it?” “Can I talk to you in private?” I was about to say ‘yes’ when Heeseung answered instead of me. “You can just say it here and now. I won't mind.” Sunghoon furrowed his eyebrows a bit and sighed. “It's really not something a random person should hear. It's personal.” “I'm not a random person. Right, Hyewon?” “That's true but...—” “You aren't in any relationship with Hyewon so I doubt you're ‘not’ a random person.”

P O V

Heeseung cursed under his breath as soon as they walked out from the room. “What's wrong?” Seunghyuk directly asked. “He picked the one who I avoided to choose.” “Why are you avoiding Sunghoon though?” Jungwon chuckled. “You know him?” “So so? I knew him with the help of Sunoo.” “Ugh, it's just that, he looks like the type of person who would get all the attention when he enters a particular room. You know, the type of guy who catches even stranger's attention? He seems that kind of guy.” “And...you don't want that because...?” Seunghyuk trailed off. “I'm the centre of attention in this building right now. I don't want to lose that. Plus, I'm the ace here, he might be a lot better than me.” “Don't worry. You saw his papers, you're two times better than him.” “Don't lie, Jungwon.” “Okay, minus one from two. Tada~! You're still better than him.” “But he would get better if he comes here.”

Seunghyuk sighed in frustration. “Please, Heeseung, stop whining over this Sunghoon guy. It's not worth it.” He pouted and folded his arms. “He should've chosen Hyewon instead.” He mumbled. “Didn't you notice? He clearly threw her form in the trash. It's totally clear that he doesn't want her here.” Seunghyuk spoke. “Maybe he doesn't want her because she owns half of the other building.” Jungwon added. “Because he's afraid to lose his throne! You're a genius, Jungwon!” Heeseung shouted, making the other two wince. “What's up with you?” Jungwon muttered. “That can be true but you all know that 80% of the reason she didn't get chosen was because of how less experience she had.” Seunghyuk sighed after speaking, massaging his temples as he closed his eyes.

“But, sir, isn't she the daughter of Mr. Shim, the former owner of the other building?”Jay looked at him with no expression. “She doesn't look like she knows about it. Plus, she has no experience in these kind of stuffs.” “Don't you think she would end up owning the whole company if she finally discovers that it was used to be owned by her father?” He went quiet as he stared at the floor. “You still take her in. But make sure you don't mention anything about those things. I've finally made a progress after those dreadful years, I don't want to lose it to some ‘former owner's daughter’. Got it?” “Yes, sir.” “Meanwhile I make sure she doesn't make any progress in here. Make sure the workers who know about it doesn't mention anything too when she arrives tomorrow. Keep your mouths shut.”

© 2021 -JAKISM