» XV «

“Cut the crap, Park Sunghoon.”

He turned around to see who it was. “Oh.” He scoffed. “You don't want me to tell her that yet, do you? My bad.” Jay's stern eyes never left Sunghoon. “Well, now that she knows the truth. Why don't you dump his arse and get back together with me?” I turned my attention to Jay, who had no expression displayed on his face while folding his arms. “Jay, is that true?” I queried. He hesitated to speak up. “Yes.” “See? All of this is his plan so that you won't make progress in your work and he'll easily find a reason to fire you. He's a genius to come up with such an idea, isn't he?” He chuckled mockingly. I looked down at the ground, thinking hard. “Let's go, Hyewon. We should get out from her before he starts fooling us again.” Sunghoon annoyingly urged.

“What's going on here?” Jungwon walked in the scene and everything went silent. He was soon joined by Heeseung. “Why is it so quiet?” He looked around for a bit. “Oh my gosh, what happened to your hand, Hyewon?” He exclaimed in anxiousness and walked towards me. I pulled away my hand before he could grab it. He eyed me in confusion. “You were also told to distract me from progressing in here, weren't you?” I asked. He didn't answer. “I knew it.” I mumbled. “But I still like you, though.” He spoke up. “So this was your plan?” I faced Jay. He kept quiet, not wanting to look at me. “To use the ones who like me to distract and make me fall in love so that I won't improve in my work? What makes you so scared whether I would improve or not?” Jungwon looked at Jay, confused.

“I understand that you want her gone but I never knew you'd do that.” Jungwon whispered, furrowing his eyebrows. “It's hard to explain everything all at once.” He finally spoke up. “But I suppose you'll get everything when I say I love Hyewon.” They shared surprised and confused glances with each other. “So you lied when you said you had everything under control to us this morning. You were just trying to keep her away from us because you were scared we'd get in between you two, weren't you?” Heeseung queried, speaking behalf of Sunghoon as well. “Dang, I thought you were going to fool Hyewon and force her to leave the company after making her think that you really wanted to become a thing with her.” Sunghoon folded his arms. I glanced at the two guys in silence. I wasn't in the mood to speak up. “I'm going home.”

៚ · •

“Why did you tell him?! I thought you promised me that you won't speak a word about it!” My voice echoed through the whole mansion. “Can you just get back together with him instead of getting mad like this?” Jake furrowed his eyebrows. I sighed in frustration. “I don't want to hear those words anymore! It's making me crazy!” He watched in silence as I plopped down on the settee and released another sigh, a tired one. “Why does my life have to be so hard?” I muttered softly and closed my eyes, putting my right arm over it. “Do you really love him though?” He asked. I didn't answer. “Who?” “The guy you're dating right now.” I put down my arm and stared up at the ceiling. “I do but...he was secretly trying to get rid of me. But then he said he loves me, at the end.”

“I'm lost.” I diverted my gaze to him. “You don't have an idea who this person is, do you?” He shook his head. “Well, I suppose Sunghoon doesn't trust you enough like you trust him.” “Huh?” I stood up from the settee. “You tell him everything, don't you?” He slowly nodded. “Does he?” He thought for a moment. “He tells me how his day went.” He shrugged. I stared at him for five good seconds. “He doesn't tell you anything afterwards. Believe me, he's just friends with you because he wants to know what's going on with me. When we finally get back together, boom, he'll forget about your existence. Don't you think so?” He kept quiet. “Stay away from him from now onwards, if you don't want me to cut ties with you.” He stared at me in surprise as I walked away from the room, not looking back.

៚ · •

I checked my phone the next day as soon as I opened my eyes. There were several missed calls from Jay and some other people, like my brother, Sunghoon, Heeseung and Sunoo. I didn't bother checking the messages since I knew they had spammed me nonstop since the previous evening. I was gonna put down the phone when it rang once again. I furrowed my eyebrows and looked st the caller ID. It was none other than Jay. I contemplated whether I should answer it or not. I blinked a couple of times before leaving it on the side table and waited for it to stop ringing. I stretched and got out from the bed. I looked back at the phone which was still ringing. I sighed and rolled my eyes before snatching it and answering it. “What do you want?” “Your attention.” I didn't respond to his instant answer.

“Can you please listen to what I have to say?” He finally started through the line. “It's not like I'm going to ditch going to work because of yesterday. Why do you have to call me and explain like this?” “I was anxious you'd think about killing yourself again.” I kept quiet. “You weren't thinking about it, were you?” “Almost did when you brought it up. Can't we talk in person?” “Uh...I don't really know. I thought it would be awkward if I see your face after what happened yesterday.” He nervously said his line. A small smile curved on my lips. “I'm not mad at you, I'm just speechless.” I said, suddenly feeling bad for him. “After all, I didn't have the chance to hear the side of your story clear enough yesterday.” He chuckled. “Aren't you the type to judge by hearing one side of the story?”

“I'm disappointed. No.” He released another chuckle. “I was just kidding. So, do you really want to talk in person instead of sorting things out like this in a few minutes?” “Well...” I looked up at the clock. “It depends if you have free time.” “Let's see.” He went silent for a few seconds. “I have a total of eight meetings today. What do you think?” “You sound busy.” I grimaced as if he could see me. “We can always meet up at my place at night. We're neighbours, remember?” I could imagine him winking. I laughed out loud. “Okay. Then, I suppose tonight?” “Tonight, around 8:00 PM?” “That's good to me. I'll see you later.” “Okay, don't be late.” I hung up and bit the bottom of my lips. Why can I never get mad at him for a long time? I smiled at myself, brushing my hair.

© 2021 -JAKISM