» XXIII «

I was surprised to see him still standing in order to protect me even after the shot. “I'm not a human, remember? It just hurts, it will heal in no time,” he smiled as he whispered.

“Don't block me! That girl deserves to die!” The same voice echoed and the familiar gunshot rang out once again, causing me to shut my eyes one more time.

I could see the confusion in Jay's eyes as soon as I opened my eyes. He turned around and we were both greeted by a struggling Sunghoon.

“No—” My breath hitched, not being able to process anything that was going on.

The people watched in surprise, along with me, for the two guys who had been shot had not collapsed on the floor or showed any sign of fatigue.

“Run,” Sunghoon simply ordered, his voice cracking, “Don't worry about me.”

Jay nodded before walking into an invisible portal along with me before I could ask if Sunghoon was going to be alright or not.

We went straight to his car and we hastily got in before anyone could notice our presence out there. The commotion that woman had caused was rather a blessing since everyone had paid attention to her side.

Jay quickly started the car and drove off in a hurry. “Jay, your back...” I stared at his bloodstained blazer. He merely chuckled, “Don't mind it. The pain's gone now so I'm fine.”

“What about Sunghoon? He got shot too, and as far as I can remember, he's not a vampire like you,” I asked anxiously.

He grinned, “Actually, he asked me a favour not too long ago,” he glanced at me to see if I figured it out at once from his words.

“You're kidding me...he must be in danger then!” I exclaimed, “If the cops know that he's a vampire, won't he be held captive?”

“He'll know what to do,” Jay smiled proudly before continuing, “Let's focus on getting out from this city for now. We'll call him once we reach a quiet a place.”

“W-What about you? They probably saw you disappear into thin air with me and that you were perfectly fine...won't they track you down?”

He simply formed his lips into a thin line before humming and speaking, “It'll be alright.”

I sighed, “We could've just left the building without notice while we were inside your office.”

“It's risky to tell those guys except for Sunghoon about my true identity. They would've freaked out,” he calmly spoke and I merely hummed and nodded at his words.

He drove in silence while I blankly stared at my phone. The urge to switch it on grew bigger and bigger the longer I stared at it.

“If you want, you can turn it on. Just make sure you put it in silent and ignore all the notifications.”

“I'm curious how they found out my phone number. This is creepy,” I looked at Jay since I believed he had gone through this a lot more than I did.

“It's either your aunts who love to gossip or the workers who secretly looked into your profile,” Jay sighed.

“Makes sense...” I shook my head before switching it on and directly getting a bunch of notifications followed with a phone call from an unknown number.

I declined it in a rush and put it on silent. I sighed in relief, “They're spamming so much.”

Jay glanced at my phone before focusing on the road, “Don't check your messages. Just call the people you want to check onto.”

I looked up at him, “Do you think I can call Sunghoon?”

He hesitated, “He might be with the cops right now, I don't think it'll be a good idea.”

“Alright...Sunoo it is,” I exhaled before ringing him up.

“Hyewon? Are you alright?” He directly picked up and whispered.

“Yes, I'm fine. Why are you whispering?”

“I can't let these people know that I'm talking to you right now.”

“Can't you go somewhere else? It's really difficult for me to hear you.”

“Just hold on,” he whispered before I started hearing his hurried footsteps. He closed a door and locked it before speaking again.

“Alright, I'm in the restroom now. How's Jay? Did he get shot too? I heard two gunshots earlier.”

“Can I first ask you how Sunghoon is doing right now?” I grimaced, scared that I'd mess up since he might have not known the secret of Jay and Sunghoon.

“You don't have to hide that Jay has the same "thingy" going on with Sunghoon. He's alright, by the way. He just got sent to the hospital though.”

“Huh? Why?”

“I don't know...he was telling us the truth about him and Jay when one of the policemen came over and said that they needed to remove the bullet, or something like that.”

“Do they know it too?” I asked in surprise.

“Not yet, but they're suspecting Jay a lot right now like, he's really really suspicious to them since he just disappeared with you like that.”

I sighed for the nth time that day, “I knew this was coming. Aren't you petrified?”

“Girl, I'm more than petrified right now. I'm just acting calm because I don't want to attract attention. I would've screamed out loud if it were just the six of us. Who knows, Jay might be using you just for your blood.”

“That's the whole point, actually,” I chuckled nervously, “But besides that, I'm sure that everything will work out fine between the two of us.”

Jay glanced at me with a smirk and quickly focused on the road again.

“That's nice to hear from you. I would still kill that guy if he does something terrible to you.”

“Haha, thanks for having my back. Heeseung and Jungwon are alright, I suppose?”

“Yep, no need to worry about us. We'll try our best to cover you two. We might spread other rumours to cover it up so, yeah, it won't be long until you can come back again.”

“That sure does relief my stress a little bit. I won't be able to answer any phone calls, just want to let you know in advance if I don't answer your calls later on. I'll ring you up again to let you know we're alright.”

“Okay, good idea. Be careful out there.”

៚ · •

By the time we reached at a small village which was quite far from the city, the sun was already setting. I had dozen off on the way.

I asked as I stretched, “Where are we?”

“Far away. The six hours long drive was worth it,” Jay chuckled proudly before getting out from the car.

I stared off confusedly before getting out as well. Six hours? I immediately inhaled the fresh air as I stepped out, “Nature.”

He looked at me, “You must be hungry. Should we get something to eat?”

“Yeah— your blazer though,” I furrowed my eyebrows before forcing him to take it off, “There's a hole in it with your shirt but your back is perfectly fine.”

“I got a spare one in the car, just in case,” he said before casually turning around and getting in the car.

“It's funny how you're so popular in Seoul and not in anywhere else,” I laughed.

“I'm not a worldwide businessman, please. Let's go—”

“Oh, it's the two of you, huh?” A young voice rang out from the side and we both turned our heads in sync.

“Excuse me, do I know you?” Jay politely asked.

“No but I'm the one who knows you, and Miss Hyewon here,” he folded his arms, a smug smile displayed on his face.

© 2021 -JAKISM