» XI «

Do you have a name, other than just ‘Jay Park’?

He paused before answering. “Why do you ask?” He gave me a stern look, making me gulp and shake my head as I smiled sheepishly. “I just thought if you had changed your name, that's all. Never mind what I asked.” The whole room became quiet once again, making me feel uncomfortable. It was extremely hard to stop myself from thinking and talking to myself. “Would you mind if I drop you off at your place after this?” He suddenly asked. “It won't be a problem for me but, are you sure? I mean, it's just five minutes walk from here.” He gently smiled as he kept his eyes on his plate. “I'm just trying to make that few minutes romantic.” My lips formed into a thin line as I blushed lightly. The way he looked so calm while saying that line showed that he knew his ways with women.

Not long after we finish having dinner, we set out and started walking towards my place. It was quiet for several seconds as we both thought for something to talk about. “So, are—” “Do you—” We spoke up at the same time as we both faced each other. We shared awkward smiles before I stated. “You should go first.” “If you say so. I was just gonna ask if you wanted help with searching Park Jongseong.” “Ah...” I exclaimed and stared off the path. “That would just keep you busy, busier than you already are. You should focus on what you're doing right now and I will focus on mine.” I slightly smiled and looked at him. He took five good seconds to speak up. “You're actually the first one to keep me from doing literally anything besides my job.” My eyebrows arched up. “Is that a bad thing?”

He chuckled lowly. “No, it's a good thing. I've been wanting to meet someone like you, to be honest.” He rubbed his nape as red tints were displayed on his cheeks. “Everyone is always ‘do what you want to do’ and such. So, yeah.” He paused for a moment. “What was your question?” He slightly tilted his head. “Oh, uh...I wanted to ask about your parents whether if you're on good or bad terms with them.” I cringed after finishing my sentence. He smiled at my expression. “My parents passed away when I was 19.” He responded with a smile on his face, which I kinda found odd. “I'm sorry, I didn't know.” “This is life, all we can do is accept and move on.” I slowly nodded at his words. I truly respected him for that, he stood alone all by myself and became such a successful person. “You don't tell these to the others, do you?”

“Just with the ones I'm close with.” He smiled as he glanced at me. I chuckled. “I'm glad.” “You know more about me than the others, now that you're my girlfriend.” My heart skipped a beat and my cheeks became bright red as I thought about it. He was right, I was probably the only colleague in that company who knew that the boss was a vampire. “Y-Yeah.” He sensed my timid actions and patted my head. “Stop feeling awkward every time you notice that I'm not a human. It's not like I'm going to hurt you.” “Sorry, it just feels all too strange.” “Just think of me as a normal guy then, forget everything about me being a vampire.” “I don't know, the bite was pretty unforgettable.” He straightened his back. “You got back your memory from that day?” I hummed a ‘yes’. I hesitated to speak up.

“Will you do that again in the future?” He looked at me in shock. “It depends, why?” I laughed nervously as I stood right in front of my gate. “To be honest, I kinda liked it.” He slightly smirked and looked down at the floor. “You're one weird lady.” I simply smiled as I watched him look around here and there, panicking. “Sorry, but you'll have to wait for several days until my bloodlust returns. You'll be there then, will you?” “Hopefully.” He chuckled. “Then, for tonight, it'll just be this...” He trailed off as he left a peck on my left cheek. “...because I'm a gentleman.” I giggled and this time he was the one watching me panic. “No doubt. I'll see you tomorrow.” He bobbed his head once and I smiled before turning to get inside the gate.

៚ · •

“You're acting weird. What happened? Went on a date?” Jaeyun intervened the next morning before I left for work. “How do you know?” “Oo~ my little sister went on a date and that guy isn't Sunghoon? I'm shocked.” I rolled my eyes. “Stop bringing him up, I'm just trying to start a new love story here.” “Not when your ex is still deeply in love with you.” I groaned. “Tell him to move on, it isn't going to work if I'm the only one that tells him to forget about me.” “You're wrong, you have mom and dad while I'm helping him out, by myself.” “You've been helping him out?” “Don't act like I never did that ever since I knew you two were dating.” It was quiet for a brief second. “So, who was it?” “Why should I tell you?” “So that I can tell it to Sunghoon and he'll end up getting mad and win over you again.” I sighed in frustration while he chuckled in satisfaction. “I'm not telling you.”

៚ · •

“Hey, can you send me the information you found about Park Jongseong?” “Of course. I'll hand it to you in a moment.” I prayed in my head before I made the call to ask if I could meet up with this new Park Jongseong. To my surprise, a woman picked up the call. “Hello?” “Oh, hi ma'am, is your husband, or brother or anyone else, named Park Jongseong?” “Oh, you want to talk to him?” “Uh, sure, yes.” I scratched my head as I waited. “Sorry, he's busy at the moment. I can schedule a date for you to meet him though.” “Oh, that would be great.” Why is she talking like an assistant— “How does tomorrow sound? At around noon?” She gave me more information about the place and time. “Okay, I'll try to be free then. Thank you very much.” “No problem. Have a good evening.” I hung up and stared at the phone before looking up to meet with Jaeyun's disinterested face. “Okay, what are you still doing here?” “I thought you were gonna stop.” “I got the sudden motivation, now go home.”

៚ · •

The next day, I sneaked out from work. Although I partly believed that Jay would allow me to leave for a few minutes no matter what, I didn't want to explain everything to him. I was kinda scared that he would tag along. Thankfully, the fixed location wasn't that distant from the building. I sat in the booth and fixed my hair and outfit to make a good first impression. I glanced at my watch and looked up at the entrance when Jay appeared out of nowhere. I started panicking and tried my best to keep a low profile. He was gonna get pretty mad if he saw me when I didn't even ask for his permission to go out. I hesitantly looked around and saw that he was gone. I sighed in relief and turned back as I took out my phone. “You wanted to meet me?” I jerked up my head and my eyes trembled.

© 2021 -JAKISM