» II «

I opened the door and walked in, taking off my shoes and setting it aside before going in further. "How did it go?" His voice suddenly rang out from the living room, making me flinch. "Why do you still have the spare key?!" "So that I can check up on you if something goes wrong? And please, stop shouting." I let out a sigh. "How did you know about it?" "I went to see Jake and he just brought it up. He is still the only person who wants us to get back together in your family, I suppose." I pinched the bridge of my nose, closing my eyes and held out my other hand. "What?" "The key." I opened my eyes to see his shocked expression. "Hyewon, we can still work it out." "It doesn't matter, Sunghoon." I raised my voice a little. "My parents will never approve of you, no matter how hard you try." I spoke, my voice cracking in the middle.

"A-At least you still have feelings for me! You can say that you still love me, Hyewon. Don't act like nothing happened between us six years ago." He spoke back, clenching his fists. I was about to speak but he interrupted. "Why are you acting like I was the reason you got into that accident? Why do your parents blame me for that? Weren't they the reason you went AWOL?" "Look, Sunghoon, this is useless-" I met his eyes, making me stop talking. They were glistening from holding back his tears. I felt bad for him, I really did. I walked closer to him and held both his hands, which were cold as ice. I slightly smiled, noticing that he hadn't changed one bit. "I know how you feel." I held them tighter. "And I will tell you, holding onto those memories isn't the best thing to do." He sniffled, looking down.

"But I can't forget them, no matter how hard I try." "No no no, I'm not telling you to forget them. Push them aside instead." I smiled softly as he lifted up his head. "What?" "You heard it right. Put them aside so that you'll be able to make space for the new memories." I ran my fingers through his soft black hair, smiling. His frown got bigger and he suddenly pulled me into a tight and warm embrace as he started to cry. "Promise me you'll still be a part of it." I hesitantly patted his back. "Of course. If that's what you want." He broke the hug and smiled weakly at me, his cheeks stained with his tears. He reached for his pocket and took out the spare key. "You asked for it-" "You know what? Keep it with you. So that you can check on me anytime if you think something is going wro-" He kissed me on the lips. "Thank you."

៚ · •

"Did he come over?" He asked as he comfortably sat down on one of the couches, stuffing in a handful of chips in his mouth. I stared at him in disbelief. "What do you mean by 'he'?" He continued to chew while looking at me. "You can't say that Sunghoon didn't come to your place yesterday. I clearly remember hearing him say that he would stop by to check on you." "Then what was the point of asking me if he came?" I mumbled. "Did you get a call back from the company?" "Not yet. There's still tomorrow and the next. If I don't get it by then, you'll have to search another one for me." He frowned. "Take care of it by yourself. I already have a job to take care of." "It's not like you're going back to Australia any soon, right?" He let out a sigh. "I need to find a wife." He looked down at the floor as poked the inside of his cheek with his tongue. "How-How did we get to that subject?!"

"Look, if I get married, they would give me a day off- maybe a month or more. That way, I won't have to bother about going back there." "Only if you had been there before dad gave away the company to a random rich guy." "That way I wouldn't have graduated." "But look what that led to us." "Whoa, don't blame me for that all of a sudden. You were the one who "fell in love" with an incredible, amazing and handsome guy and decided to go mad and drive the car when you clearly know that you didn't have a driving licence." He looked at me with no expression and I did the same. "So what? I'm a girl. I wasn't suppose to take over that building anyway." "You were suppose to, or you could." "This is like the hundredth time we're fighting because of it." "You want to finish it off as a tie again?" "Yeah." "Very well then."

៚ · •

I woke up on the third day and directly knew that that day was not going to be a good day for me as I still hadn't gotten the call, and I woke up at around eleven in the morning. I lazily got off from the bed and made my way to the bathroom. Time went really slow as I got ready to go outside, not knowing where my exact destination was. My phone rang while I was fixing my hair. "What is it?" He groaned from the other line. "Still no call, I suppose?" I hummed a small 'yes' followed by a yawn. "Aww~ I feel so bad for you. But don't lose hope, they might suddenly call today. There's still time." "Yeah right, you said that the day before yesterday and...yesterday." He chuckled. "Believe me. If you unluckily didn't get it, don't worry, I have your back." "All of a sudden?" "Isn't it normal for the elder brother to feel bad for his younger sister and help her out when she needs it?" "It's normal, yeah. But it's weird coming from you." I laughed. He sarcastically laughed. "Very funny. I'm hanging up. Mom told me to visit for tea this morning. Bye~" He hung up and I sighed heavily. As expected from the most "appreciated child".

I was about to open the front door when my phone rang once again. I yanked it out from my pocket and my eyes widened when I saw that it was an unknown number. I prayed first before answering the call. "Hello?" "Hi, this call is from - - - company. Are you Shim Hyewon?" "Yes." I tried my best not to stutter. "Okay, Miss Hyewon, we're sorry to let you know that you didn't get the spot out of the eight seats. Thank you for interviewing. Have a nice day." The call got cut, leaving me dumbfounded. My jaw dropped as I stared at the door for minutes. I brought down the phone and put it back in my pocket. I heaved out a sigh and went back to the living room and let myself fall onto the couch.

P O V

"Hyewon went for the - - - interview. I'm not sure if she'll get the spot though." "The— I went there yesterday." "Are you serious?" "Yeah. I'm still waiting for the call back." Jake squealed. "That's great! If you both eventually get two of the seats, you'll see each other every now and then and you'll probably end up dating again!" Sunghoon smiled at his actions. "I don't think so. She looks...I don't know, distant? From me." "She hasn't mentioned your name for a month. Why don't you go there, to her apartment? You have the spare key, don't you?" He nodded hesitantly. "I've been thinking about giving it back to her since we're not together anymore. But a part of me doesn't want to." "You shouldn't. Keep it with you forever." It was quiet for a moment. "I'll go check on her on my way back."

"Not good...not good...not good..." Jay kept on muttering the words as he closely took a look at the papers. Seven seats had already been filled by the judging of Seunghyuk, Heeseung and Jungwon. As Jay had said several days ago, it was time for him to pick the last person to fill in the eighth seat. The three colleagues stood in front of him as he judged the papers with his round glasses. "Useless...a-HA!" He sprang up from his seat, making the other three flinch. "We'll take him." Seunghyuk cleared his throat. "Who?" "Park Sunghoon." He proudly stared at the paper on his hands and looked up at the three. "Why didn't you choose him?" "Erm..." Heeseung cleared his throat as well. "We thought his visuals were too much." "Pfft, whatever. Now looks like we're done. Great job everyone!"

"Sir! Sir!" A staff ran up to Jay that evening. "What's wrong?" Jay eyed him worriedly as he panted heavily. "One...of the new...members..." "Calm down first. Do you want a cup of water?" The staff shook his head. "This is urgent...one of the new members is from - - - - company...it looks like they sent one of their workers to sneak in the building...and steal your ideas." Jay didn't have any expression. He suddenly laughed, making the staff confused. "Well, looks like some people really admire my works that they're thinking about stealing my further ideas now. What a great life. Yeah, you go on and fire her directly. I'll take in another one." "Uh...sir, who may that be?" He thought for a moment. "Hyewon...Shim Hyewon."

© 2021 -JAKISM