» XVIII «

“I thought you'd never show up.”

He spoke as soon as I walked inside.

“Sorry, I got too carried away. My brother gave me a surprise visit with Layla.”

He tilted his head in confusion.

“Is she...his girlfriend?”

I cackled out loud, shaking my head.

“He treats her like one but no, she's our pet.”

“Oh...” He simply exclaimed.

I cleared my throat and put on a straight face.

“So, what do you have to say?”

He looked here and there, quite nervously, before speaking up.

“First of all, I want to apologize for not being fully honest with you and for the way I acted in the past. I truly didn't know that we were gonna get this close in the end. You already know that my main task was to get rid of you if I ever saw you again. But that's different now, I can't live without you anymore, we both know that.”

“How will I know whether you're telling me the truth or not? You still might be trying to fool me with lies. Maybe you can actually live off of someone else's blood that isn't mine. Maybe the guy that you made a deal with was actually lying to you.”

He hesitantly took both of my hands.

“Give me some time to prove everything to you.”

“Can't you prove everything right now?”

“No...that will take too much time. I want to take my time to make up for all the bad things that I did, and all I'm asking for you is to be patient with me. Can you do that?”

I was reluctant to answer him.

“You better not take six whole years.”

He pulled up a smile upon hearing my words.

៚ · •

After a brief moment of fooling around and a delicious dinner with him, I was on my way back to my place.

“You're not gone yet?”

I grumbled as I fumbled inside the house.

“That sounded kind of rude but yes. I thought you would be staying there for another hour.”

He replied while he was busy playing with Layla with the treats he had brought over.

“He's a busy person. Staying there longer will only delay him. What are you up to, teaching her a trick again already?”

“She has mastered everything so there is nothing for her to learn anymore.”

“She can't speak yet.”

He looked at me in confusion.

“What do you mean?”

I shrugged in response and walked off.

“Where are you going?”

“To bed.”

“At least tell me the name of your new date before you go.”

“It's none of your business.”

“Why? You don't think it's gonna work out?”

I stopped in my tracks. Now that he mentioned it...will it really work out?

“If he continues to be honest with me, it will definitely work out.”

P O V

“I can't be honest with her!”