» I «

I continuously tapped my feet as I waited for someone in one of the cafes I wasn't familiar with. From what she had said from over the phone, she knew a person named Park Jongseong. She refused to meet but I told her that I would give her ₩50,000 if she showed up. I expected her to be a well brought up person from her voice through the phone. I only knew that I was so wrong when a girl with a thick layer of makeup, the highest heel I had ever seen and wealthy-looking-clothes but which she actually bought it for ₩1,000 or ₩2,000 from a cheap shop came in and walked up to me. I hoped my face won't make any weird looks as I looked up at her, standing near the chair I was sitting on. Are those big round earrings necessary? I cringed in my head. I've been there hon, it's no use. You can't pull it off even if you're pretty.

"Are you Shim Hyewon?" She asked, her voice sounded the complete opposite from the voice I heard the previous day. "Yes. Sit down, if you please." "No thanks, I have a date in like...ten minutes so you have to make it quick." If you can answer me questions quick enough. "Okay, first of all, what does he look like?" "He's in his 40's, I suppose. He had been my neighbour for more than ten years. He's really great. You will love him." What the actual frick is she talking about? "Completely out of topic but whatever. I'm done. You can go to your date." She smiled and held out her palm. "You promised." I looked at her in disbelief. "I swear to gosh..." I muttered and gave her the ₩50,000. She mouthed the word 'Thanks' and left the cafe.

I sighed and rested my elbows on the table, hiding my face with my hands. Looks like I need to borrow money from my parents again. It felt like everything was falling apart for me. "Where are you, Jongseong?" I mumbled involuntarily and got a response from someone. "I'm here." I jerked up my head to see who it was. I scoffed. "What are you doing here?" He took the seat in front of me. "Dad told me that you were going out again. Will you drop this already?" "I'm not planning to-" "Until you find him. Yes, I know that. But please, Hyewon, I'm worried about your health. You look like you haven't had a proper meal for days."

There it was again, his pouty expression. "Jaeyoon, you have to remember that you're older than me. You can't act all cute-" "Stop calling me in my Korean name, it's Jake, and I will stop being like this if you stop searching for this Park Jongseong dude." "You should find a job for me first." "Why can't you find it yourself?" "Because I'm your younger sister." He had no expression. "That didn't make any sense. But okay, I'll help you with it. A friend of mine works under a big company, he said that they were searching for new colleagues several days ago." "How many are they taking in?" "Eight-" "Message me the place and time for the interviews. I gotta go get ready for another interview!" I squealed and sprinted out from the cafe. "And your 21st try on getting a job!"

៚ · •

"Hyewon~!" A familiar voice rang out before I walked in the enormous building the next day. I turned here and there until someone walked up to me with a bright smile plastered on his face. "Oh...Sunoo, so you're the friend my brother talked about?" "I know it's unexpected for you to see me working in here." He smiled sheepishly. "You don't really fit in as a businessman, yes. But I like seeing you with formal clothes like this." "I know~ but this is all I have to earn money so I can't quit and search for another job just because it doesn't look natural on me." He pouted. "Hey, remember you're at work. You can't act like that." He smiled guiltily.

"Jungwon is one of the staffs that are taking in new people so I'm sure there will be no harm." "Jungwon?" "He was the one who helped me get the job. I'll lead you to the room." He started walking and I followed behind. "How many are there?" "The judges? Just three. It's the simplest like that. Here you go. Good luck~" "Thanks." I took a deep breath after he left. Let's hope this one goes well. I opened the door, praying in my head. I was greeted by a familiar face as soon as I entered. It was Jungwon. There were two other well dressed men on his left. Their names were placed on the table in front of them. The one in the middle was Lee Heeseung and beside him was Choi Seunghyuk. Jungwon gave me a small smile before looking down at the papers.

"So, Miss Hyewon...you graduated, highschool?" Was the first thing I was asked by the guy named Lee Heeseung. "Yes." He nodded, staring at the papers. "Do you have any experience in working in a place like this?" "Uh...no." The guy on his left named Choi Seunghyuk whispered to him, getting Jungwon's attention. Soon, they were all whispering amongst themselves. I awkwardly sat in front of them. All types of expressions were exchanged by the three before coming to a conclusion. "We'll inform you about the results in three days or less." Spoke Seunghyuk. "Thank you for coming." Added Jungwon. I bowed and thanked them before leaving the room. I let out a sigh of relief. Well, I didn't get objected in there at least. I continued to make my way out of the building. "I'll drop you off, Hyewon!" A voice rang out and I sighed.

P O V

"Is that all for it?" Asked Seunghyuk after the door closed. "I guess..." Answered Heeseung, who was busy looking at the papers. "Hey, Jungwon. You seem to know that girl." "Who?" "The girl that just went out." "Oh, Shim Hyewon? I'm friends with her brother, well, brother's friend." He smiled sheepishly. "She cooled off right after she saw you. Did you notice?" Seunghyuk nudged Heeseung, making him look up. "I thought she felt comfortable because she saw my smile." "That's unexpected from you, Heeseung." Seunghyuk chuckled. "Jay would never allow her to work in here if she's a "friend" of yours." "Why? Sunoo is close to me and he works here. Why can't she?" "Because I just don't allow it."

The door bursted open, revealing their "boss" Jay. "Why don't you?" Seunghyuk asked. "Didn't you see her? Didn't you look close at the papers? She doesn't fit in." He powerfully folded his arms. "And I'm not letting in someone like that just because her "friend" is working here. Come on, we need to focus here. We need experienced people who at least has a degree. Get it?" "But..." "No, Heeseung. She might be unexpectedly good at the job but since you're taking a little too much liking in her, it will distract you from working. You're one of my best colleagues so I can't let you lose your focus just because you fell head over heels for a female colleague in here." No one dared to speak up. "I'll be picking the last eligible person later." He strutted out of the room.

Heeseung scoffed. "Can you believe this? He's a year younger than me but he has the right to talk harshly to me because he's the owner of this company." Seunghyuk stared at him. "Dude, I'm three years older than him." "And I am the youngest in this room." Jungwon butted in. They all sighed in unison. "This is what our lives have become, huh?" Seunghyuk added. He sink down on his chair. "We need to be understanding though. You know that he lost his parents six years ago. It must take him everything to lead this company by himself." Jungwon spoke and they nodded. "Ah, besides this company, you know that he fully owns that company." Heeseung added. "That what company?" Asked Seunghyuk. "It used to be really big but it kind of broke down when the owner's daughter, you know...had an accident." "I never heard about that." Seunghyuk looked at Jungwon, who was staring at them. "What's up all of a sudden?" Heeseung waved his hand in front of his face.

"The daughter, Shim Hyewon just walked out of the room."

© 2021 -JAKISM