XL. Others entering the equation

"Do you like it? Jin and Tae sent it for my birthday."

"It looks lovely on you."

Jimin lightly leans back from Namjoon as he giggles, guilt from the light tickle from the kisses on his neck and jaw. Namjoon releases him to let him have a chance to finish grooming himself. These past few months Jimin has had a more lively attitude. He knows it's not real, but somehow it's closer to the one he had in the past. Sort of reminiscent or trying to get back to being that way. Either option appeals to him and he's not going to complain about them.

. . .

"People are talking very highly of you deciding to party in such a huge way. They're happy that artists and stuff are coming," comments Jimin, slowly sliding the jade comb to comb Agust's hair. The emperor dozes lightly. "They are preparing to attend, to decorate their homes, prepare food and many other things. It has been a long time since they have been this pleased and excited."

"It's just a festival." mumbles Agust.

He thought it a good idea because his reputation as a bloodthirsty and heartless emperor is out of orbit. No one bothers to understand why he disposes of so many nobles. He assumes he has no capacity to understand it either. Many new nobles have arisen over the years and he leaves them completely alone. He has nothing against them emerging, getting rich and pedantic at the cost of lending money, selling fabrics, ornaments, porcelain, paintings, carvings or food that they sow in a territory that belongs to them. That's great.

What Agust cannot and will not allow is the slave and child trade to continue. The main reason is because it is their agreement with China and Japan. They are doing their part. There have been no reports of attacks on the border with China, just more flow of trade and immigration and there have been no reports of attacks on villages to kidnap doctors, artisans and carpenters. The second reason is purely out of personal distaste.

He understands that slaves are human and unless it is for war purposes, enslaving people without a reason seems silly to him. He's not going to free or change the status of those already there, but he is going to avoid spitting in their faces and treating them like shit. The issue with selling children is that many are stolen or murdered from their parents to sell to kisaengs houses.

By Jimin has overturned that.

He asked for it and Agust accepted it.

"Festivals make people happy and a happy and pleased person doesn't care what his emperor does or doesn't do." says Jimin. He starts braiding the golden hair and Agust squints his eyes.

Yes, he knows that much.

Even if they were very bad, chances are they wouldn't do anything either.

Luck is tricky. Agust prefers to keep them satisfied.

"Maybe something good will happen: you have fun and smile a little" jokes the kisaeng. Jimin carefully places jade beads to adorn the locks of hair. "It's been so long since you've done that, your face looks like porcelain." Agust looks in the mirror for a moment.

"You smile a lot lately."

Jimin laughs with a shrug. He picks up off the floor and walks to open the door leading to the garden. Agust follows him to lie down on the grassy ground outside. Jimin leans toward him: his pretty, golden emperor. Hair scattered over the green grass, wavy in jade-encrusted gold trails.

"I thought maybe this way I'll be able to shine again Don't you think? My lord." Jimin smiles broad and genuine. Agust watches him for a few seconds before his lips curl into a delicate smile. His green, loving eyes focused on his blue-haired kisaeng.