🤭🪁||51|| ''And you'll be even better.''

51...... 🤐

~~~~~~~~~~

I was alone.

Heart pounding in my ears, I tried to make sense of what had happened.

Katherine was gone.

When I put my hand to my stomach, I touched something sticky and wet. I held my hand up. It was dark.

Then the pain came.

It shot through my abdomen, cold and harsh and painful. God, it hurt. It hurt.

I whimpered, and I tried to call out for help, for anyone – but the darkness responded with complete silence. There was no one there.

I pushed myself forward, supporting myself against the building next to me. I tried to call for help again, but my voice didn't carry far. With every breath, an excruciating pain ripped my body, and I almost crumpled to the ground, my head spinning.

My phone. I had to get my phone. Shaking hands pulled the phone out of my pocket. Between the tears clouding my vision and the cracks on the screen, it was almost impossible to find the contact list. Squinting, I found his name and managed to press call.

''Evangeline?''

''Are you close to the... the apartment?'' I managed to get out.

''What happened?''

''I-I need help.''

''Where are you?''

''I... somewhere between work and the apartment, I don't know, agh,'' I bit back a scream and pressed my hand hard against the wound.

''Stay were you are.''

My hand dropped to my side and I collapsed to the ground. With great effort, I dragged myself up, leaning against the wall. I could feel the blood running through my fingers, still. Sticky and wet. My heart pounded in my ears. Quick and loud.

I don't know how long I sat there. Eventually, the pain stopped. The thumping of my heart slowed, quieted down. Finally, I thought. It doesn't hurt anymore. A content sigh escaped my lips and I closed my eyes. I was so tired. And without any pain, I could go to sleep peacefully. That was all I wanted right now, really, to just rest a while.

Rushed footsteps and the sound of someone calling my name urgently forced my eyes open again. My vision was clouded, but when he came close I saw the blurry face of Elijah. Why was he here? Had I called him? I had, hadn't I? I couldn't remember...

''Evangeline-''

''Hey,'' I said, mustering up a weak smile. ''I'll be okay. I- I just have to sleep, for a little bit...''

''Don't close your eyes,'' Elijah said and shook me, forcing them open. I was so tired. If he would just let me sleep...

Elijah held something in front of my mouth. ''Drink,'' he commanded, when I hesitated, trying to figure out what it was. ''Drink!'' he urged frantically. ''Please.''

I groggily looked into his eyes and hissed when the pain in my stomach returned. I had hoped it was gone. I thought it had been. He pressed something against my lips, and made me gulp it down. I whimpered at the strange, metallic taste.

Shaking my head, I wanted to stop, and eventually he let go. I felt myself go limp, and when I closed my eyes this time he didn't make me open them.

~~~~~~~~~~

When I woke it was dark, but for a soft light glowing somewhere close, shining light on the edge of a bed. A bed I was in, I realised.