🪁||38|| ''You need to stop.''

Chapter 38 🤭😌
~~~~~~~~~~

The door slammed shut, and then silence settled.

Slowly, I took a step towards the door. Then another. In one swift motion, I opened it.

The hallway was empty. They were gone.

''Okay?'' I mumbled to myself, wondering what to do. Could I find them if I tried? No, not if they didn't want to be found. I took a few quiet steps further out to see if I could hear anything, but the place was dead quiet.

I was tired of waiting around. Getting out of the room didn't necessarily need to mean that I was out to look for them. I'd go to the entrance hall and back, and if I happened to meet anyone who could tell me what on earth what was going on, then that'd just be a bonus.

It was a little spooky, I had to admit, walking down a dark hallway with only a few lamps on the wall to light the way, knowing that there were now two Original vampires here, and I had no idea what mood both of them were in. I didn't know much about their relationship other than it seemed completely dysfunctional. So, if I heard the sound of windows shattering or furniture breaking, maybe I shouldn't be too surprised.

Seeing Elijah was like seeing a ghost. When was the last time I saw him? The night when they were supposed to kill Klaus the first time? From what I remembered, he just went and vanished. Leaving us with too much death for some of us to handle. My heart twinged when I thought of Jenna. And John Gilbert. God, I'd almost forgotten the look on his face. And how he looked when he fell to the ground in front of me. Him too, dead.

I tried pushing the images away. I didn't want to relive it again. Once was enough.

It got brighter when I stepped out above the staircase in the entrance hall. The chandelier was lit, making light dance through the crystals, bouncing off them and onto the walls and ceiling above.

A shadow at the bottom of the stairs caught my eye.

''Evangeline!'' Klaus called, holding his arms out in a welcoming gesture. In the blink of an eye he was right next to me. ''Small change of plans.''

''Because you don't want your brother to find out?'' I guessed, scanning the floor below for him.

''Of course...'' Klaus said. ''You've met before. Whilst plotting to kill me?''

''Yeah,'' I replied, because there really was no way to sugarcoat it.

''From now on, we will have to... choose our moments. I didn't think you'd want anyone else to overhear.''

And I didn't think he wanted to, either. But he was avoiding that question.

''How can you tell he's not listening?''

''He's not,'' Klaus assured me.

''Why is he here?''

''Well,'' Klaus said. ''We're sorting some things out.''

He wasn't going to tell me anything else. I held back a sigh. ''So when are we going to pick this up?''

''I'll let you know.''

That had been my life these last couple of days. Waiting for him. But I did it anyway, because it was worth it.

Obviously, Klaus didn't want Elijah to find anything out. But he was here, and he'd seen me, so of course he knew something was up. The question was how much Klaus would tell him, because I guess he couldn't act like it was nothing.

I hadn't seen Elijah becoming a part of this mess again. He'd been gone so long, it never even crossed my mind that I'd see him here. And with him here, it was clear that everything had changed.