||19|| ''Well, then. A cup of tea, if you would.''

~~~~~~~~~
Chapter 19!

Heheheh x

~~~~~~~~~

I was staring at an empty classroom. All around me was that eerie silence right before the bell rang and a more familiar buzz spread through the hallways. I glanced at my phone. The class didn't start until in five minutes, so they'd start pouring in soon enough.

I lifted my phone up in front of my face and turned on the front camera. The bruise on my chin was gone by now, so I'd been told, but I guess my mind still made me see some discolouration in the skin.

Mrs. Cooper was coming back from her leave, so this was the last class I had. Well, as a long-time substitute, that is. I chewed the inside of my cheek absentmindedly. If Elena was here, or maybe Bonnie, I had to talk to them.

A few minutes after the bell rang the students trudged in one after another. It was kind of strange, I had to admit, to step back into the teaching role again when I saw Elena, Stefan, Caroline and Bonnie take their seats and place their books in front of them. So Elijah had kept his word about Stefan? He was obviously not stuck in a tomb anymore.

''Has anyone seen Tyler today?'' I asked as I took attendance.

''I don't think he's here,'' Isaac said.

''He's not,'' Caroline jumped in. I glanced at her, but her eyes were glued to the desk in front of her.

''Okay...'' I finished crossing off the rest of the names, before I placed the sheet on the desk and turned to the class. ''Alright, guys, this is the last lesson you'll have to finish your texts. So, let's not waste any time?''

When they sat working by themselves, I usually didn't have too much to do. Most of them didn't really need any help, especially at the end of an assignment, like now. It really did feel awkward to teach Elena and everyone, when they were teaching me on their end.

I wondered if Elena had gotten my text. I mean, maybe she didn't, and I was just fretting over nothing. Or she had to much going on. I wasn't in on everything that happened, and I still wasn't quite sure if I wanted to.... There were just so many questions running about in my head.

After class, Elena lingered behind.

''I'm sorry,'' she said before I had the chance to even open my mouth. ''There's just been so much happening, I forgot to talk to you.'' She looked like she was genuinely sorry.

I shrugged. ''It's okay.''

''No, it's not.'' She sighed. ''Are you okay?''

''Well,'' I began. ''Elijah payed me a visit. Two, actually.''

Elena stared at me wide-eyed. ''Two times?''

I hummed in reply.

''What did he want?''

''The first time he just... appeared,'' I frowned. I hadn't really made sense of it myself yet. ''Sarah's car broke down, and then he was just... there. And then the second time was yesterday at the Grill.''

''Okay...'' Elena said slowly. ''And?''

''I don't know,'' I sighed in frustration. ''He wants to know what I am. I don't even know that!'' If I were a cartoon figure, I'd be pulling my hair by now. I glanced at the clock on the wall, to make sure another class wasn't about to begin.

Elena looked deep in thought; her dark eyes penned to the floor.

''What is it?'' I asked.

She looked up after a second, a deep crease on her forehead. ''I just remembered what Rose said.''