||20|| ''You are quite strong-willed, aren't you?''

~~~~~~~~~~
Chapter 20!
~~~~~~~~~~

Lunch hour on Saturdays was the busiest time of the week at the Grill. It was a place for teens to hang out and for anyone looking for a cup of coffee or a lunch with friends.

''Here you go,'' I said with a smile as I served a couple their food. ''Enjoy your meal!''

I glanced quickly at the door. He wasn't here yet. If he was coming... I didn't know what to do, really. I only got to clear my head enough to think about it sometimes, because, as always, I just turned on some kind of autopilot when the restaurant was this crowded; swiping dishes as I went past tables to get the ready orders, and keeping everything besides work out of my head.

I walked into the kitchen to drop off some dishes for Pete, and when I came back out I scanned the room for any new customers. Mr. Saltzman, Damon and a woman I recognised from TV were sitting by one of Sarah's tables, but otherwise there was no one else. Damon looked up and winked at me. He'd probably heard that I had to go to his and Stefan's house after work to get the vervain.

Averting my eyes from him to the door again, as it opened, my breath hitched in my throat. It wasn't him, though, the freaking hundred-dollar-tipper, and I shook it off and went back to work. With all the people here, I shouldn't let myself get distracted and lose focus.

There was a steep hill before I could turn onto the road that would take me to the Salvatore house, so I got off the bike to walk up. My footsteps didn't make any sound on the paved road; the only sound heard was the spinning of the wheels. There weren't even any afternoon birds chirping.

This was exactly how it'd been when I went to the Lockwood's to find my purse.

I was just about to climb on my bike again, when I heard a gust of wind.

''Good afternoon.''

When I looked up he was right in front of me, hands in his pockets and un-readable features.

''Hi...'' I tightened my grip on the steer.

''Have you decided?''

''You don't really give me much time to think...'' I replied.

''You are going to see the Salvatores, I presume?''

Even if I would've debated whether to tell him or not, the only reason anyone would be on this road was to go to them.

''Yes,'' I replied shortly. ''I'm actually in a bit of a hurry...''

''I'll accompany you.''

''There's really no need,'' I mumbled and started walking away from him.

''What is your business with them?'' Elijah's voice rang from behind me.

''My business is none of yours,'' I retorted through gritted teeth. Having him this close had every muscle in my body tense, every nerve on alert.

''You will come to see that it is,'' he stated matter-of-factly, as if it was obvious. It was to him, apparently, but if Elena and the others didn't know either, then how should I?

The hill was getting the better of me, and I tried to contain my heavy breaths as best I could. I was half-way to the top.

''Perhaps you could remind them, that any unjust intentions tonight would leave us in quite a severe situation,'' he looked at me solemnly.

''Tonight?'' I asked and glanced at him, walking effortlessly a few feet away.

''We are having dinner.''