✨🪁||42|| ''I'm not mad at me either.''

Chapter 42 😌🚙🛣

~~~~~~~~~~

The following morning was eerily still. From the moment I woke up, all I wanted was to go back to sleep again. Yesterday had been tough. Physically and mentally. I lay on my back and stared at the ceiling for a while. I had thought coming back home to my house would help make me feel grounded again; and it did, a little bit. But not enough. If I was going to get back on track and better myself, I had to... I don't know. Get some perspective? With no distractions.

Taking a deep breath, I relaxed and turned on my side to check my phone. The screen lit up and there was one missed phone call. From Elena.

We hadn't left things resolved. Well, maybe we would have if I hadn't asked her to leave. And if she after that hadn't been nowhere to be found. I pressed call and sat up, bringing the phone to my ear.

She sounded tired when she answered. ''Hey.''

''Hey,'' I said back. Biting down on my lip, I thought of so many things to say, but none of them seemed right, so instead I just asked:

''Can I come over?''

~~~~~~~~~~

If Elena had sounded tired over the phone, that was nothing compared to how she looked. She opened the door with dark circles under her eyes, shoulders slouched and hands buried deep in the pockets of sweatpants a few sizes too big for her.

''Come in,'' she said, and we sat down in her living room.

We were both stiff as boards and the unsaid words hanging in between us made the air feel tense enough to cut with a knife.

''I wanted to apologise,'' I began. ''I reacted before I knew exactly what happened and-''

''You shouldn't apologise,'' Elena cut me off. ''I made a bad choice. I shouldn't have trusted her. I thought she was going to kill Klaus, and only Klaus.''

I never thought she did it completely on purpose. Regret was written on her face in big bold letters, and her eyes were desperate to explain. If I put my guard down, I was pretty sure it would wash me over in one big wave.

I knew Elena, and she was guided by emotions, just like me. And what I saw in her right now couldn't possibly be all because of what happened at the ball. It had been big, sure. But... there was something else.

''Something happened yesterday, didn't it?'' I asked.

''Your intuition is scary sometimes,'' Elena replied. ''But yeah, something happened alright.''

She played with her fingers, and actually looked relieved right before she said:

''Elijah's not dead. None of them are.''

It was like I'd had a splinter stuck in my finger for a long time. One I couldn't get hold of, sitting there and causing pain. Not unbearable, but enough to be felt, all the time. Elena's words were someone managing to get it out. The pain was still there, for a short while. Shock pain. Then it settled.

After seconds of surprise and not be able to get anything even resembling a word out of my mouth, I finally managed to ask: ''What happened?''

''Well...'' she frowned. ''I was kind of... held hostage.''

Elena told me all about what happened and all I could do was sit and be baffled at what she said. How Elijah trapped her, sending Rebekah to watch over her and kill her if Stefan and Damon didn't do something about the ritual Esther was going to perform. The ritual that would kill all of her children.