||25|| ''Thank you.''

~~~~~~~~~~
Chapter 25 x
~~~~~~~~~~

''Okay, bye''.

I hung up and put my phone on the desk beside me. Elena had called in the middle of one of my searches trying to figure out what to call myself, and she told me what Elijah had told her. Apparently, he and Klaus were brothers. Figure that.

I had to sit and process all that she had told me for a while. From what she had told me, Klaus was even more frightening now that before. I mean, I thought I was strange; not finding anyone else like me, and no one else seemed to know what I was. But being both a vampire and a werewolf at the same time? Geez.

Eventually snapping out of it and getting on my feet, I went out of my room. ''Mom?'' I called down the stairs. I was pretty sure she didn't have work today, and my guess was confirmed when I found her on the sofa playing with her phone.

''I was going to go get some groceries later, want to come?'' she asked without looking up. I sat down next to her and brought my legs up, resting my chin on my knees.

''I have work 'til four.''

I stared at some crumbs on the coffee table in front of me. My mom had accepted and supported that I wanted nothing to do with my powers. She had accepted that I never wanted to talk about it, or have anything to do with it, over the years. So, me building up the courage to ask her what I was about to ask her wasn't really easy.

''Can I...'' The words stuck on my tongue. Mum glanced up from her phone and immediately put it away when she saw the look on my face.

''What's wrong?''

''Nothing. Nothing's wrong, I just...''

She shifted so that she sat facing me. The necklace I bought her hang around her neck. ''Tell me.''

....Here it goes.

''Lately... I've been practising.'' Wiping off my sweaty palms on my pants, I tried not to look at her, because if I did that I might lose the courage I'd built up. ''I don't want to be afraid of... it... anymore.''

Letting out a heavy but relieving sigh, my eyes finally traced their way up to meet my mother's gaze.

The thing is, I wasn't really afraid of her reaction. I knew she would support me no matter what. I was, still, scared of talking about it, mentioning it, having anything to do with my powers at all – because acknowledging them made them real. And I'd never really wanted them. Now, however, controlling them, and not just ignoring their existence, was actually something that could save people's lives; and, I shuddered at the thought, my life.

Being thrown into this mess had almost gotten me killed a few times already. I needed to be able to use my powers to their full extent – that I knew of. Both for myself and those around me who, I had to admit, were slowly becoming my friends.

''You've been practising?'' she asked.

Maybe I shouldn't tell her about getting help from Elena. She wouldn't believe me if I told her that I'd made such good friends with Elena that I'd trusted her with my secret.

''Yeah...'' I affirmed, ''well, as well as I can. I was wondering if...'' I sighed.

''You want my help?'' she suggested with a small smile on her lips.

''Not if you don't want to, or think it's a good idea,'' I quickly added. ''But... I would really like it if... well, if...''

''You think it's possible to control it?''

I paused before I answered. ''Yes, I do.''

''Of course I'll help you, honey,'' she looked at me like I was crazy. ''You know I'm there for you no matter what, but I've always hoped you might come to feel a little more at ease with this.''